Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Police now delivering flowers to victims of unsolvable crimes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default UK Police now delivering flowers to victims of unsolvable crimes!

Ah beam me up Scotty - is this what we've came to?

I honestly don't know what to make of this - is it a good idea - yes if it didn't cost £30 a time which could be spent on fighting crime...

Lovely gesture but at a bit of price - what do you reckon peeps?

Good to show a bit of heart or cost too high?

Forces across the country have started sending the flowers to help “soften the blow”, although one victim said she felt “fobbed off” by the gesture.

Rates of detection for burglary are as low as 12 per cent in the areas giving out flowers Photo: Julian Andrews
    In the borough of Barnet, the Met has sent out around 300 bouquets since the initiative started in November, mostly, they say, to elderly women living alone. The flowers have been donated by a florist, which aims to gain business as a result.
    Burgled ma'am? Have some flowers, courtesy of the police

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well peeps in regard to lack of commenting on my thread - thanks a bunch

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin 4 View Post
    Perhaps PIE could send you flowers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Few Tulips here already

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The police do not exist primarily to solve crime- they lack the funding to do so on any serious scale, and no matter how hard they work, they will always be playing catch-up. Crime is far too prevalent to expect the cops to be in a position to do anything about most crimes.

The cops exist firstly to create the impression of due process so as to make citizens feel like the state is looking out for them, no matter how low the actual detection rate is. We know from the CSO a few years back that the cops have very little interest in or ability to tackle routine crime, and have been playing with the figures for years.
    Gardai massaging crime statistics for years, new CSO report shows - Independent.ie

While the gardai have been claiming for the past two decades to have broad "detection rates" of around 40 per cent and even higher, the new evaluation shows that actual conviction rates for these crimes are uniformly below 10 per cent -- and they're falling.
    This exposes the fact that "detection" in garda parlance can mean only that they know or have a rough idea of who committed a crime, but haven't actually gained enough evidence for a conviction.

It appears from the CSO figures that the gardai were lumping in high "detection" offences like traffic offences (where there is generally a 100 per cent "detection" rate because a person almost necessarily has to be detected on the spot) and drugs possession, again where a person is usually caught in the act for the crime actually to exist, to make the figures look better.
    No surprises there, and I don't blame the cops in the least. They are under-resourced, and even if they were all totally clean and totally relentless, they still would barely make a dent in most types of crime.

Their main function is to create a sense of order, enforce the law where possible, pacify the public whenever there is a high profile case such as a rape or a murder, and to be available to respond to the political orders of the Minister for Justice- this usually involves beating up protesters, protecting various dignitaries, and doing a bit of marketing.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't see any harm in it and I suppose it's a nice way of softening the blow in what will probably fairly minor cases when a lack evidence closes the investigation. Better than a phone call or a standard "Victim's letter" I think, and as there's little or no cost to the Force concerned then what's the problem?
    “There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can’t think of one at the moment.”

Default Barnet policing

Well, Dublin 4, do you want a serious comment, or are you just up for a laugh?

You cite an article from the Daily Telegraph — fair enough in itself. The Torygraph is the home-base of one regular Monday correspondent, a certain Boris Johnson. Mr Johnson sidelines as the Mayor of London, in which role he reminds us, incessantly, that crime in London is going down.

On first sight, he seems to have has a point. According to official figures (OK, OK: I know that term's none too far from a full oxymoron) the burglaries in Barnet fell last year from 428 to 398.

Of course, the London Borough of Barnet is where the Metropolitan Police failed to notice, over five years, that MetPro Rapid Response were paid by the local true-blue Tory Council to race around the Borough in look-alike police cars, with unlawful light-bars and dodgy US-style uniforms, enforcing "open government" on schools, libraries, municipal premises and events, claiming official authorisation and clearance, with arrest powers, evicting, even fulfilling "child welfare". Only when MetPro went spectacularly bust, did the penny (actually several million quids' worth) drop. Barnet boasts it runs on the easyJet business model.

The same Mayor Johnson tells us police numbers will be up by 1,182 by 2015. Other figures suggest, at best, the increase could be … 56. Yet another set of "official figures" reckons the actual police numbers on the streets of London fell by over 4,000 in the last two years.

Should you drink deep of the Pierian spring that is the "domestic" edition of the Sunday Times [£], you will find Sonia Purnell up-dating the Eddie Mair mauling, listing — remarkably acutely — Johnson's serial failures and wheezes. For example, on policing:

Johnson's own figures on police numbers (going up) and crime (going down) have repeatedly been contradicted by other, perhaps less politically driven, official statistics. He has frequently been accused of presenting a misleading picture but the mayor has responded with bluster and insults rather than a commitment to improve.

He called the head of the UK Statistics Authority — a former private secretary to Margaret Thatcher — a "Labour stooge" for daring to point out that his proclaimed successes in reducing reoffending, for instance, "did not stand up to scrutiny". Even then Johnson repeated the statistics in later press articles in which he crowed about his tough stance on law and order. Only this month he has been asked by the statistics watchdog once again to "reconcile" his police numbers with those of the Home Office. Some forms of crime, such as burglary and knife crime, are on the up.
    In this magical world of ConDem Britain, one pays one's money, and takes one's pick of what to believe. Believe me, Dublin 4, a Barnet bunch is the least of local problems.

Politics.ie Member Little_Korean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds a bit naff, to be honest. Flowers or anything else sent as part of some sort of gesture by an impersonal body - here, the police - isn't going to have any effect on cheering the recipient up anymore than a St Valentine's card written by your mum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh FFS.

I despair of my homeland frankly. What stupid waste of money.

EDIT - I see one force gets the flowers free from a florist and the other uses police charity funds, which puts a slightly different perspective on the matter. At least taxpayers money is not funding this. Rushed in without checking facts there - naughty of me.

Still a stupid idea though.

If nothing else, they could use the charity money or get freebies from security companies to fit better locks/alarms or give attack alarms to victims of burglary or mugging. At least that would make them feel a bit safer and make them a bit less likely to be repeat victims.

Fundamentally though, more effort needed in catching the offenders.

Victims of crime want justice, not flowers.
    Last edited by blokesbloke; 31st March 2013 at 09:03 PM.
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's the UK police, so who is the WE?
    If we got rid of all the papists, there'd be no trouble whatsoever. The place will be nirvana. Schomberg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast