Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "Easter eggs for Belfast"

Politics.ie Member Nebuchadnezzar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default "Easter eggs for Belfast"

What was the worst atrocity on Irish soil of the 20th century? What comes to mind? Omagh? Dublin bombings 1974? One of the Bloody Sundays?

"Easter eggs for Belfast" - thus warned/threatened our compatriot, William Joyce, aka Lord Haw Haw, in a broadcast from Hamburg made shortly before the April/May 1941 bombings of Belfast by the Luftwaffe. The scale of the death and destruction far outranks that of any other atrocity in Ireland of the 20th century - in the worst raid, on Easter Tuesday, 15th April 1941, over 900 were killed and 100,000 were made homeless. These bald facts are well known and yet we(southerner's and northern nationalists) seem to suffer from amnesia concerning these raids when we consider the darker moments of Irish history. I engaged earlier today in a silly argument as to which was the worst ever bombing in Ireland - Omagh, Dublin/Monaghan or the North Strand Bombing of 1941? Both I and my opponents failed to even consider the Belfast Blitz. All other atrocities whether by republicans, loyalists, British Army or Free Staters pale into insignificance when put against these German attacks.

Lord Haw Haw's collaboration was the traitorous action of one individual but was there any IRA involvement in helping to plan or assess the impact of the German raids? IRA collaboration with the Germans is well established with regard to plans Green and Kathleen etc but the evidence of active support for this mass bombing of Belfast is less clear. Another question for consideration is did the trauma of this devastation result in any re-evaluation of Republican policy of cooperation with Germany?
    Is not this the great Babylon that I have built.....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Northern Ireland was part of the UK, and Belfast was a centre of war production. If what they did was wrong then so was the Allied bombing of Germany.

The German Bombing of Dublin was different. That could certainly be measured alongside Omagh, Bloody Sunday etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Northern Ireland was part of the UK, and Belfast was a centre of war production. If what they did was wrong then so was the Allied bombing of Germany.

The German Bombing of Dublin was different. That could certainly be measured alongside Omagh, Bloody Sunday etc.
    A stunning lack of perspective.
    The Empire's Over - Why Don't You Go Home?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post

I accept that - there is a direct moral equivalence between the attacks on Belfast and those by the RAF on Germany.

However the question here is did the IRA provide any assistance to the Germans in the carrying out of these attacks or their post raid assessments? I am not aware of any group of Germans who actively encouraged or assisted in the Allied Bombing campaign of their country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
    I accept that - there is a direct moral equivalence between the attacks on Belfast and those by the RAF on Germany.

However the question here is did the IRA provide any assistance to the Germans in the carrying out of these attacks or their post raid assessments? I am not aware of any group of Germans who actively encouraged or assisted in the Allied Bombing campaign of their country.
    I don't think there is any proof whatsoever of that. During the war in fact the accusation was that ccatholics in general aided the luftwaffe, though you don't hear this too often now. Fact is, the Germans didn't need anyones help to bomb any city.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lord Haw Haw's collaboration was the traitorous action of one individual but was there any IRA involvement in helping to plan or assess the impact of the German raids? IRA collaboration with the Germans is well established with regard to plans Green and Kathleen etc but the evidence of active support for this mass bombing of Belfast is less clear. Another question for consideration is did the trauma of this devastation result in any re-evaluation of Republican policy of cooperation with Germany?
    What a load of rubbish.

Dylan2010

probably a lot of urban myths going around, I saw on a UK website once that someone really believed that DeValara had the street lights turned up in Dublin to help the German bombers find Liverpool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shutuplaura View Post
    I don't think there is any proof whatsoever of that. During the war in fact the accusation was that ccatholics in general aided the luftwaffe, though you don't hear this too often now. Fact is, the Germans didn't need anyones help to bomb any city.
    Perhaps these stories are just loyalist propaganda however I have come across an account of a 14 page IRA report on the post raid damage being intercepted by G2 in Dublin enroute to Germany.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    probably a lot of urban myths going around, I saw on a UK website once that someone really believed that DeValara had the street lights turned up in Dublin to help the German bombers find Liverpool.
    Well the lack of a blackout policy in the Free State probably did unintentionally aid German navigation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps these stories are just loyalist propaganda however I have come across an account of a 14 page IRA report on the post raid damage being intercepted by G2 in Dublin enroute to Germany.
    Post raid? Intercepted? Hmm...Not sure that this is really significant. There is a large number of historians or Journo's who would love to prove that they were involved. So you have found something they've missed?

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast