Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Austria, The Anschluss, Role In WW2 And Post WW2.

Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Austria, The Anschluss, Role In WW2 And Post WW2.

I joked with my friends that it was nice to play the poor much trampled on Austrians on the 75th anniversary of the Anschluss (union with the German Reich in 1938)! Actually ironically Austrian soccer boasted the wunderteam prior to "unification" with the Reich, which was regarded as the best in the world and during the subsequent years Austrian clubs did very well in the Unified football league (Schalke also stood out!), which continued through most of the war!
    My questions are 1 How genuine was the unification with the Reich and it was of course headed by an Austrian in Hitler, who spoke/ranted in a provincial Austrian accent? 2 What was its role in WW2, if it can be singled out? and 3 Why was it allowed to portray itself as a victim like the constituents of Czechoslovakia and Yougoslavia were, when it seems to have been quite culpable? I saw the great monument to the Soviet soldiers in Vienna (a must visit city!) and it seems that prior to Afghanistan it was the only place they ever left!

Anschluss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Politics.ie Member Frank Galton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Over a quiet Easter one thing that makes for an interesting read is the life of Ludwig Wittgenstein and his time in Ireland while the aforementioned events were going on --

Ludwig Wittgenstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Somehow post-war Austria was able to carry off a nostalgia for the imperial days that Germany couldn't. In part, its more intertwined history with its eastern neighbours maybe gave it a partial alibi.
    The Daily Mail -- the world's biggest cut-and-paste operation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Nazi's first victims and from 1943 Moscow Declaration, getting an easy ride! They got lucky!

Neo-Nazism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I was travelling in central Europe a few years ago and on a drive from Budapest to Vienna, I wondered how the powers that be (powers that were) decided on the carve up of Europe after WW2. Hungary had been for a long time part of the Austro Hungarian Empire and Austria had rolled over and let the Nazis in under Anschluss, yet Austria was not put under Soviet domination but Hungary was.

I agree with the OP that Vienna is a must visit city but Budapest is better, a real hidden gem.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is a scene in the "Great Dictator" describing the invasion of "Osterlich".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

actually this subject has recently been debated again in Austria

Austria debates its role in the Nazi era | Europe | DW.DE | 11.03.2013
    "We know what to do, we just dont know how to get elected afterwards" Jean-Claude Juncker on how to fix the European economy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was in an Irish pub in Vienna a couple of years ago, and got chatting with the owner, a guy from Dun Laoghaire. I mentioned to him that it was unusual to see that in Vienna, unlike most other European cities, there seemed to be no evidence of World War 2 - in memorials, statues, museums, or anything. In response, he made the simple but chilling point, that of all the countries the Nazis invaded, Austria was the only one where the natives democratically invited them in. Hence, they tend not to talk about it.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCKY View Post
    I was travelling in central Europe a few years ago and on a drive from Budapest to Vienna, I wondered how the powers that be (powers that were) decided on the carve up of Europe after WW2. Hungary had been for a long time part of the Austro Hungarian Empire and Austria had rolled over and let the Nazis in under Anschluss, yet Austria was not put under Soviet domination but Hungary was.

I agree with the OP that Vienna is a must visit city but Budapest is better, a real hidden gem.
    Partly where the allies ended up. Partly horse trading over spheres of interest.
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's an interesting one.
    Similar to ourselves, a public vote under the threat of terror was held which solidified the new State.
    The Austrian State was subdued but the people were either in favour or too weak to even democratically stop it.
    I think the victim-hood theory is a means of retrospectively looking at the war and putting blame on someone else to build up a new national spirit once Austria was a State once more.
    Victims of Nazism certainly but it appears they wanted to be victims.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCKY View Post

Budapest would be a really great city if it wasn't for the Hungarians in all my travels apart from 1 psychotic babushka in a museum in Lithuania, they were the most horrible people, I have ever encountered ! Kind of like the way Paddy peasants react to some of their own, Yes I have been in Cork and Dublin also!
    Actually, Hungarians have a reputation among other Eastern Europeans as being very suspicious people!
    Also and I suppose it's a throwback to being the 2nd most privileged race in the old Austro-Hungarian empire and coming despite considering themselves to be a mediteranean people under a Germanic influence, that they wait for that shagging pedestrian light to turn green before crossing the road even if there is no car anywhere on the road! This is a bad sign in a people, especially a non Germanic race! It's a trend I am also beginning to see it here also, but we have allowed the Germanics to control us!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast