Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for the Irish speakers of Politics.ie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Question for the Irish speakers of Politics.ie

It would probably be bad form to post this on the Gaeilge forum as Béarla (as I don't have enough Irish yet) so I'll do it here.

If you had the option of visiting only one village in the Gaeltacht and the purpose of your stay was to speak in Irish with as wide a range of people as possible, which would you choose? In other words, a place where it's least likely that you'll to have to switch to English because the other person/people you're interacting with can't continue due to a lack of fluency. A place where you're most likely to hear young people speaking Irish amongst themselves in everyday life etc...

I've spent time in only one area which is undoubtedly in the Fíor-Ghaeltacht, and two places which have no business being in the Gaeltacht at all these days. Even to a non-Irish speaker like me, the difference was like night and day. In one, Irish was everywhere. In the grocery store, the petrol station, the mechanics shop, the pub and the school yard (kids chatting with their teacher).

In the others...nothing.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sounds like you kinda answered your own question there
    Enda Kenny on FF government: “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I immediately thought of five places that might fit the bill when I decided to post this, but I don't know which is actually the strongest. I'll answer later, after some more replies (hopefully).

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An Ceathrú Rua or Gaoth Dobhair

Politics.ie Member Darren Mac an Phríora's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gaoth Dobhair.

Be warned though- in most of the Gaeltachtaí you will hear a lot more English during the tourist seasons i.e Summer and during the other holidays.

Gimpanzee

Rosmuc

I'd say Rosmuc also. ach ná dean dearmad ar Rathcairn tá a lán Gaeilge ann agus tá sí an Gaeltacht is cóngaraí le BAC .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bradán feasa
    I'd say Rosmuc also. ach ná dean dearmad ar Rathcairn tá a lán Gaeilge ann agus tá sí an Gaeltacht is cóngaraí le BAC .
    No. If you want an English free Gaeltacht, Ratchcairn is not the place.
    Equality — It is new strung and shall be heard

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politics.ie ?!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newbie12
    An Ceathrú Rua or Gaoth Dobhair
    Although my personal love is the Kerry gaeltacht, life is conducted in English by all the locals there so probably Ceathrú Rua simply because Ulster Irish is effectively a different language to me. It's as different from Southern Irish as Jamaican street patois is from Westminster English.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast