Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 112

Thread: Michael Martin - lucky, good, average or great?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Michael Martin - lucky, good, average or great?

    Firstly, apologies about the lack of a fada in his name. Can't figure out on a iPad how to do that. Mods feel free to amend.

    Anyway, we have the polls and now the bye election which show the surgence FF. like them or loathe them. This has happened at a time when FF came from it's lowest ebb and when many thought the road was irrecoverable. So one has to ask has Martin been a great leader or has he been a lucky one ?

    He appears to have adopted a policy of almost shyness from the public eye and has let the likes of McGrath take the limelight. That's strikes me as clever as he still reminds people the financial collapse in Ireland which occurred under FFs watch. He has managed to manoeuvre his party to a seeming opposition to many issues which FF introduced in practice or principle, eg, property. tax and paying the bond holders. He seems to have convinced the electorate that FF were pretty much blameless or at least unlucky in timing, and what's impressive is that people now appear to be taking not an awful lot of notice of the govt war cry that they are just fixing FFs mistakes.

    On the other hand was he lucky? I mean was the only way up for FF anyway? Were votes just lent to FG and particuarly Labour. Has the govt been so poor and in particular labour that options for the electorate had little choice. Have SF been poor in not exploiting the circumstances enough. Had Barney the Dinosaur been at the helm would FF have resurged?

    So what do people think, good, great, average or lucky? Btw, we all know the rehearsed insults by now. Can we stick to genuine honest debate if at all possible.
    #3amigos

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Mackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    NT he'd more than likely think he is all of those descriptions. But you have to add he has a neck of pure brass to lead them FFers after Bertie.
    War doesn't work. Give peace a chance.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Boy M5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    21,702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I think he's intelligent but I don't respect him as a leader as he sat at the cabinet table when the economy was driven off the cliff (with FG cheering on)
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member mickterry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A little above average in my opinion. It was a tough job to take on and so far has done well enough.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member ger12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    48,228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Good.

    Clever and no aversion to populism . FG/Lab made his job a lot easier. McGrath up next.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member neiphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    5,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boy M5 View Post
    I think he's intelligent but I don't respect him as a leader as he sat at the cabinet table when the economy was driven off the cliff (with FG cheering on)
    have you any evidence
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member tigerben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Midleton
    Posts
    4,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northtipp View Post
    Firstly, apologies about the lack of a fada in his name. Can't figure out on a iPad how to do that. Mods feel free to amend.

    Anyway, we have the polls and now the bye election which show the surgence FF. like them or loathe them. This has happened at a time when FF came from it's lowest ebb and when many thought the road was irrecoverable. So one has to ask has Martin been a great leader or has he been a lucky one ?

    He appears to have adopted a policy of almost shyness from the public eye and has let the likes of McGrath take the limelight. That's strikes me as clever as he still reminds people the financial collapse in Ireland which occurred under FFs watch. He has managed to manoeuvre his party to a seeming opposition to many issues which FF introduced in practice or principle, eg, property. tax and paying the bond holders. He seems to have convinced the electorate that FF were pretty much blameless or at least unlucky in timing, and what's impressive is that people now appear to be taking not an awful lot of notice of the govt war cry that they are just fixing FFs mistakes.

    On the other hand was he lucky? I mean was the only way up for FF anyway? Were votes just lent to FG and particuarly Labour. Has the govt been so poor and in particular labour that options for the electorate had little choice. Have SF been poor in not exploiting the circumstances enough. Had Barney the Dinosaur been at the helm would FF have resurged?

    So what do people think, good, great, average or lucky? Btw, we all know the rehearsed insults by now. Can we stick to genuine honest debate if at all possible.

    Press a for a second and a little window with the different As come up and just glide your finger to the one you need.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member ruserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the Bunker...Returning Fire!
    Posts
    29,322
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Beneficiary of consequence of having no real alternative.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member commonman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boy M5 View Post
    I think he's intelligent but I don't respect him as a leader as he sat at the cabinet table when the economy was driven off the cliff (with FG cheering on)
    Would you call him a Judas then.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member the secretary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Letterkenny
    Posts
    5,574
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerben View Post
    Press a for a second and a little window with the different As come up and just glide your finger to the one you need.
    Steady as she goes seems to be his approach. FF has been disciplined since the O'Cuiv situation.
    Big Phil only borrowed the votes so now Martin is slowly calling them back. He really could do no worse than Cowan in fairness.
    He has a long way to go though.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •