Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meath East Abortion game plan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Meath East Abortion game plan

Savita's husband may amend report into her care - Independent.ie

BB is not surprised that James Reilly has moved swiftly to publish Savita report - allowing husband to amend i - after
    FGs win

Obstacle to legislation were rising fears of meltdown as FG vote fell behind FF

But unique circumstances - a sympathy vote and good candidate - have given FG a win

Like Endas by election win in1975 it wont prevent meltdown at next election (FG were slaughtered in 77 ge)

But it will give FG and Labour argument to persuade backbenchers they have nothing to fear from legilsation

But the fact is they have

A Millward Brown poll shows over 60% oppose change in the law

Initial polls showing majority in favour came in bacckdrop of huge confusion over why Savita died

Now that her husband and Dr Arulkumuran - a leading pro abortion advocate -can write the narrative they
    can ensure the report says what is needed to support push for legal abortion

And heres the irony of it all: The x case concerned the threat of suicide. But Savita was fighting to live

But in the push for abortion the facts dont matter

Onl cynical manipulation of suffering and political opportunity matters

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Brother View Post

Initial polls showing majority in favour came in bacckdrop of huge confusion over why Savita died

Now that her husband and Dr Arulkumuran - a leading pro abortion advocate -can write the narrative they

And heres the irony of it all: The x case concerned the threat of suicide. But Savita was fighting to live

Well I would certainly agree that that is the irony in the situation. And also that various political parties in Ireland are trying to twist the situation to something that will suit their purposes. Indeed it is what you are doing yourself in your OP, with your very dodgy interpretation of recent opinion polls, for one thing.

You are also being disingenuous about why the X case is being considered in relation to Savita Halappanavar's death at all - it is because there is no other legal basis for providing an abortion for her when she needed one. The alternative to citing the X case would have been to tell her an abortion was not possible - indeed that is quite possibly what may have happened, that because her pregnancy was not causing her psychological distress, there was no justification for using the X case to carry out an abortion.

I am beginning to wonder if the X case is grossly insufficient as legislation, and maybe the solution is to get rid of the 8th amendment altogether. It has shown itself to be dangerous to women,including women whose only reason for requesting a termination was to preserve their health, possibly even their lives. And I don't just mean Savita Halappanavar : the A, B and C cases too. And I'm sure there are others which haven't gone to court.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't often comment but the op is scaremongering and twisting poll results. I thought 80% of people polled said that the life of the mother should be looked at firstly. This is a topic being hijacked as most sensible people know that this is totally separate to the x case. My partner is 6 months pregnant and I would do anything to keep her alive. We have other children and what's the point if she is allowed to die and my other children would be left without a mother. Docs have to be allowed to make these decisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shanieboy01 View Post
    I don't often comment but the op is scaremongering and twisting poll results. I thought 80% of people polled said that the life of the mother should be looked at firstly. This is a topic being hijacked as most sensible people know that this is totally separate to the x case. My partner is 6 months pregnant and I would do anything to keep her alive. We have other children and what's the point if she is allowed to die and my other children would be left Docs have to be allowed to make these decisions.
    But they already are

If Savitas doctors didnt know that thenguidelines need attention

But abortion is never a cure for suicide

This xcase push on the back of a highly dubious SC decision is to create a precedent for later expansion to abortion on demand

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

But they already are

If Savitas doctors didnt know that thenguidelines need attention

But abortion is never a cure for suicide

This xcase push on the back of a highly dubious SC decision is to create a precedent for later expansion to abortion on demand
    What guidelines?
    Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Idiotic OP. Typical for the OPer.

BB is not surprised that James Reilly has moved swiftly to publish Savita report - allowing husband to amend i - after
    FGs win

But unique circumstances - a sympathy vote and good candidate - have given FG a win

Like Endas by election win in1975 it wont prevent meltdown at next election (FG were slaughtered in 77 ge)

But it will give FG and Labour argument to persuade backbenchers they have nothing to fear from legilsation

In some ways you are correct, but certainly the abortion scare used in Meath shows that the issue is not affecting peoples voting at all. The irony is with the very limited range of casee allowing abortion, Savita could not have been saved by the coming restricted legislation. But one thing is sure, it's not the political timebomb anti choice peoplebelieved or hoped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bye bye mubarak View Post
    In some ways you are correct, but certainly the abortion scare used in Meath shows that the issue is not affecting peoples voting at all. The irony is with the very limited range of casee allowing abortion, Savita could not have been saved by the coming restricted legislation. But one thing is sure, it's not the political timebomb anti choice peoplebelieved or hoped.
    Are you sure? The FG candidate certainly didn't commit to supporting any legislation, the FF candidate is on record as not supporting X legislation and the candidate shouting about abortion polled 4% of the vote.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is an utterly nonsensical attempt at projecting the OPs mentality on a single issue into an electoral issue. It reflects an obsessive determination to use a by-election in which the voter turnout was hideously low- which should be taken to indicate the absence of a serious single issue among the voters of Meath tied in with a general apathy towards Irish politics and politicians generally- and to simply use a philosophical attempt to hammer the Savitta case onto it which is ludicrous in the extreme.

The Labour party didn't poll at 4% in Meath because of their supposed machinations for abortion- they polled low because they are the mudguard for Fine Gael austerity policies.

The OP is nothing more than a disturbed attempt somehow to extract mileage from the Meath by-election result towards the OPs own present obsession.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FGs win

FG were slaughtered in '77 due to two factors, Richie Ryan's budget and FF's promise to abolish domestic rates, a decision that still has repercussions today, as we can see in the debate about the property tax, and one that caused so many of the problems in the intervening years.

Many people, myself included, felt at the time that FF had no need to make this pledge, as they were likely to win anyway, but they did, and it gave them a landslide.
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast