Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are The Prospects Of A FF/SF Coalition Ticket In 2016.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What Are The Prospects Of A FF/SF Coalition Ticket In 2016.

The most significant result of the Meath East by-election is confirmation that the polls are correct and that SF are now the third biggest party in Ireland in terms of popular support. Labour will probably stay in government but there is very little chance that they will run on a coalition platform at the next general election? That means FF and FG will need new suitors for any prospective coalition after an election that is likely to be a dead heat between FF and FG. Transfers will be vital.

Will SF do a deal with FF?

I believe SF will not be able to resist FF overtures even if it means the "kiss of death" because the alternative is permanent opposition with little or no input into policy making and no politician wants that. We are likely to see increasing cooperation between FF and SF election workers with unofficial transfer agreements between local candidates or requests for transfers as we saw in Meath East.

'Sinn Fein can we have your votes please,' Fianna Fail under fire over Meath-East transfers plea - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Would you as a SF voter preference FF if:

(a) you were asked to do so by the SF party as part of a national preference agreement with FF?
    (b) you were asked to do so by the local SF candidate as part of a local preference agreement with FF?
    (c) of your own volition if you thought tactical voting would ensure the best outcome for the SF candidate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

None of the above.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The conservative moon-howlers seem determined to keep on insisting that FF/SF is some sort of certainty, despite every SF poster without exception - and non-SF republican-minded posters too - repeatedly and consistently stating that SF has no intention of being a mudguard for either FF/FG and subsequently being obliterated electorally, like the PDs Greens and Labour.

You have to wonder what they imagine the point is of endlessly repeating nonsense. Mendacious bogeymonstering to try and scare voters as stupid as themselves?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    The conservative moon-howlers seem determined to keep on insisting that FF/SF is some sort of certainty, despite every SF poster without exception - and non-SF republican-minded posters too - repeatedly and consistently stating that SF has no intention of being a mudguard for either FF/FG and subsequently being obliterated electorally, like the PDs Greens and Labour.

You have to wonder what they imagine the point is of endlessly repeating nonsense. Mendacious bogeymonstering to try and scare voters as stupid as themselves?
    SF cannot govern on their own and neither can FF and FG for the foreseeable future at least. Do SF want to be in permanent opposition? Getting into bed with the ex husband i.e. FF must be a lot easier than getting into bed with the ex wife beater i.e. the DUP. Political realities will triumph.

Ramps

Quote Originally Posted by rant_and_rave View Post
    SF cannot govern on their own and neither can FF and FG for the foreseeable future at least. Do SF want to be in permanent opposition? Getting into bed with the ex husband i.e. FF must be a lot easier than getting into bed with the ex wife beater i.e. the DUP. Political realities will triumph.
    Yes, you're right. Unless something extraordinary result came to pass, giving SF enough seats to govern on its own or with a small number of inds., ULA, or whatever, it will have to choose either FF or FG (since it is almost certain that a rise in its fortunes will correspond with a decline in support for Lab.) And that's not really a choice at all....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The coalition of corruption is very possible, neither ff or SF/IRA have any principles and will do any deal possible to get there hands on the kitty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've only one further contribution to this thread............I got my first LiKE off criumh, I feel all sort of humble. Or sullied petunia

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rant_and_rave View Post
    Look I know for a fact this has been explained to you on numerous occasions now, so we'll give it one more go, nice and slow, and if it still doesn't sink in to the concrete lump atop your shoulders then there's little anyone sane can do against your severe limitations.

SF play a long game. They always have, and always will. They are content to wait decades if need be for the right moment. They've been patiently building up support in the south for 30 years now. They used to be a 2-4% party like the PDs or Greens. Now they seem to be somewhere in the teens nationally, over 20% in some constituencies.

They are not stupid, nor are they vacuous yapping memory-of-a-goldfish trough-snoutering power-seeking sociopaths like the standard politician. They might well have within their ranks various other kinds of sociopath and other loonies, politics attracts them, but SF don't have the particular type of blustering gobdaw that infests all the other parties.

They've sat and watched and slowly built support against a wall of ostracism and vitriol from all the other parties and the entire media apparatus for 30 years....and you think they'll throw all that away for 3 or 4 years of propping up the FFailures before being wiped out, like the Desocrats and the Cabbages? Seriously? You genuinely Believe that to be the case and yer not just a yapping clueless idiot?

And for the last friggin time, the north is a mandatory all-party coalition designed to force co-operation and powersharing after a 40-year armed conflict following 50 years of rampant sectarian discrimination. It's not an SF/DUP coalition, it's an SF/SDLP/Alliance/UUP/DUP coalition. Everyone there is there because they have to be, and because its the only responsible thing to do to try and stabilise northern society and put an end to lots of people dying every year. Only a mendacious southern troll would try to lie and twist the imperatives and motivations, for any of the parties involved in the northern assembly.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SF would need to have a nasty encounter with reality for FF to consider them. Their leadership would adapt overnight but some of their more excitable supporters would struggle. Still, they ditched far bigger principles in pursuit of running stormont county council so the gullibility and/or pragmatism of their members is well proven.

Unfortunately I still predict FG and Lab will be re-elected so SF have another few years to come down off the ledge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

No coalition with the former terrorists. Fianna Fáil is the only true republican party in Ireland.

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast