Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 90 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Easter Rising commemorations in Northern Ireland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Easter Rising commemorations in Northern Ireland

This coming Easter will see the 97th annual Easter Rising commemorations taking place across Ireland, North and South. Undoubtedly, these events represent great controversy in Northern Ireland as they have become a symbol of militant republicanism, resented by many unionists. In a country were unity is becoming emphasised and a common identity stressed, are these celebrations an obstacle to peace and a shared future, in the same way that the Twelfth celebrations often are? I respect those who wish to celebrate these two events and why they would wish to do so, but are they compatible with what power-sharing and attempts at healing division? To my mind anything that does emphasise the divided nature of society in Northern Ireland is not favourable and puts a shared future in danger. Many will say that these celebrations aren't divisive or sectarian (which makes sense since their are no mentions of religion) but these celebrations clearly emphasise the distinction of republicanism and unionism and the division between communities, in the same way that the marching season does. So my question is are these celebrations really compatible with a Northern Ireland which is united rather than divided? Or does it not really matter and both celebrations should be respected and be allowed to go ahead?

I am not condemning the celebrations or the Easter Rising itself but from the situation which exists in Northern Ireland I can't see these celebrations as contributing significantly to peace and unity between communities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think its the same on both sides... both sides will see the other sides as contentious and trouble making celebrating terrorism, while seeing their own as alright and see those they honour as 'heroes' .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You should change your username to HORNETS NEST

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swords Hoopster View Post
    You should change your username to HORNETS NEST
    Probably.

I realise its a tense issue and many have strong views on this issue but its interesting to know what others think.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In answer to your OP Drogs, as long as the people confine their celebrations to where they're accepted, IE, nationalist areas, then I think it should be fine. It would be a little bit rich for Mexicans like you or I to tell our compatriots in the north that they're not allowed celebrate an event whereas we are.

In the same way that Orange Marches should be confined to places where they're wanted, Republican commemorations should also.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Will Poppy Sunday now be ditched in a return Goodwill gesture then?
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    Will Poppy Sunday now be ditched in a return Goodwill gesture then?
    Given many Irish people died in both Great wars, which remembrance Sunday is meant to be about. Why would anyone want it scraped? Or were you a German supporter in the wars :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mickeymac would appeal to folk in every corner of the occupied zone to wear their Easter Lily with pride.

Please England, leave Ireland and give Ireland back to the Irish.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by belfast1981 View Post
    Given many Irish people died in both Great wars, which remembrance Sunday is meant to be about
    That's not what it's about though, it's to remember British soldiers who have died in conflicts around the world (including Iraq, Afghanistan and the six counties).

I understand why those who think of themselves as British want to commemorate what they class as their forces, but unionists also have to understand that nationalists will have a much dimmer view of the British military in light of their actions in the north.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Narcissist View Post
    That's not what it's about though, it's to remember British soldiers who have died in conflicts around the world (including Iraq, Afghanistan and the six counties).

I understand why those who think of themselves as British want to commemorate what they class as their forces, but unionists also have to understand that nationalists will have a much dimmer view of the British military in light of their actions in the north.

Problem here is Narc, zilch onionists see it that way..........that is why there are few if any 'moderate' unionists.

Page 1 of 90 123451151 ... LastLast