Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sophisticated Irish Electorate

Default The Sophisticated Irish Electorate

"We all jumped on the bandwagon. We bought a nice big house. This government ain't doing anything for me" "FF came to my door and said they would do it for me (fix his mortgage); FG didn't do that for me".

"Enda Kenny put his hand out to me but I refused to shake it and told him I could never shake it, after what his government did to me". "We paid €36,000 in stamp duty and now we can't afford this house".

"Micheal Martin came to my hall door and explained that he could have taken the pension and retired at the last general election, but he didn't and I respect that". "We can see now that it wasn't just FF's fault, the whole world economy is in trouble".

These are the words (roughly) of a married couple from Meath East, interviewed for tonight's Late Debate, and asked to explain why they voted for FF's Thomas Byrne.

I hope the Troika never leaves.
    Last edited by ShoutingIsLeadership; 29th March 2013 at 09:25 AM.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    "We all jumped on the bandwagon. We bought a nice big house. This government ain't doing anything for me" "FF came to my door and said they would do it for me (fix his mortgage); FG didn't do that for me".

"Enda Kenny put his hand out to me but I refused to shake it and told him I could never shake it, after what his government did to me". "We paid €36,000 in stamp duty and now we can't afford this house".

"Micheal Martin came to my hall door and explained that he could have taken the pension and retired at the last general election, but he didn't and I respect that". "We can see know that it was just FF's fault, the whole world economy is in trouble".

These are the words (roughly) of a married couple from Meath East, interviewed for tonight's Late Debate, and asked to explain why they voted for FF's Thomas Byrne.

I hope the Troika never leaves.
    Can you expand on your difficulty at all?

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    Can you expand on your difficulty at all?
    This couple got into a mess during the FF years and is blaming this government for that mess.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    This couple got into a mess during the FF years and is blaming this government for that mess.
    No they're not. They're, rightly, blaming this Government for expecting them to pay a property tax when they can't pay their mortgage and after they recently paid a very large amount of stamp duty, a not unreasonable point of view I think and a point of view that FF have supported in recent policies. They're also, as I heard it, blaming this Government for promising the sun, moon and stars before the last election and delivering nothing for them, again, a not unreasonable point of view.

You were listening, but you didn't hear what they were saying.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No they're not. They're, rightly, blaming this Government for expecting them to pay a property tax when they can't pay their mortgage and after they recently paid a very large amount of stamp duty, a not unreasonable point of view I think and a point of view that FF have supported in recent policies. They're also, as I heard it, blaming this Government for promising the sun, moon and stars before the last election and delivering nothing for them, again, a not unreasonable point of view.
    And why does their government need them to pay property tax?

Do they have a massive debt burden to pay off or something?
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Recent policies? How coincidental that they're supporting it in recent policies and they're out of government. How coincidental.
    2nd bold point- That's not a reason to vote for FF. FF are masters at that kind of thing.
    The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled, you just become a replica of someone else's mind.

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You were listening, but you didn't hear what they were saying.
    FF signed us up to Property tax as part of the "bailout negotiations"
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riadach View Post
    And why does their government need them to pay property tax?
    Because this Government choose that means of raising cash as against any other way, raising extra from those on 100,000 PA, for example.

A choice that is unfair, regressive and damaging to the domestic economy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe they can get their €36k Stamp Duty back? That will help them pay their bills.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone that would ever vote for Fianna Fail is, well, how do I put it...A big Thick!

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast