Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would Scottish Independence result in a UVF style paramilitary group emerging?

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Would Scottish Independence result in a UVF style paramilitary group emerging?

So let me pre-empt this by saying I dont think the scots will actually vote for independence next year however devolution-max is a distinct possibility within the next decade and that would in the long run at least potentially lead to independence.

So in the event of a yes vote to independence be it next year or some time in the future do you think a loyalist paramilitary group would emerge in opposition in a post-Independent Scotland?

Northern Ireland and Scotland have strong historical links on both side of the political divide so its not inconceivable that the UVF and other loyalist paramilitary groups would provide their arms which they have get to decommission to any potential group. Beside the hardcore sterotypical Rangers fan would opposition to an independent Scotland actually manifest itself in any sort or large scale armed resistance? Is there the capability there?
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And they have mad dog Jonny Adair living up there and the puppy son if he is out of the clink yet. Starter for 10 Bamber?
    War doesn't work. Give peace a chance.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IrishWelshCelt View Post
    So let me pre-empt this by saying I dont think the scots will actually vote for independence next year however devolution-max is a distinct possibility within the next decade and that would in the long run at least potentially lead to independence.

So in the event of a yes vote to independence be it next year or some time in the future do you think a loyalist paramilitary group would emerge in opposition in a post-Independent Scotland?

Northern Ireland and Scotland have strong historical links on both side of the political divide so its not inconceivable that the UVF and other loyalist paramilitary groups would provide their arms which they have get to decommission to any potential group. Beside the hardcore sterotypical Rangers fan would opposition to an independent Scotland actually manifest itself in any sort or large scale armed resistance? Is there the capability there?
    Unlikely, to say the very least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I remember a Rangers supporter who stabbed a Celtic supporter to death after an old firm game, after being sentenced he requested he serve his time in NI amongst UVF prisoners, as he saw it he was equal to them, some would say he was but thats the calibre of 'men' you would get.

Besides here in Ireland it could be divided between sectarian lines, not so in Scotland so they'd have actually bring themselves to bomb and shoot what are essentially their own.

Thats not too say it couldn't happen. I just couldn't see it lasting, thankfully.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

different circumstances without a divide and rule approach from London. The 6 counties had issues for a long time before the 26 became free of London.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Those Ranger boys see themselves as English. Whilst a fair few of the Celtic faithful see themselves as Irish for the most part. Added to this the Catholic vote in Scotland is pretty much staunch Labour. Interesting times ahead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If MI5/6 get the nod, probably. Otherwise, no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The UVF are an even bigger joke than the Provos - no-one would care...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
    Those Ranger boys see themselves as English. Whilst a fair few of the Celtic faithful see themselves as Irish for the most part. Added to this the Catholic vote in Scotland is pretty much staunch Labour. Interesting times ahead.
    I know a few ranger supporters in scotland and they would never identify with england.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by derryman View Post
    I know a few ranger supporters in scotland and they would never identify with england.
    Yep but the amount of English flags at their matches isn't exactly small. To be fair it isn't the same as the North in all respects.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast