Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 90

Thread: Would Scottish Independence result in a UVF style paramilitary group emerging?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    ˇNo Pasarán!
    Posts
    2,662
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Would Scottish Independence result in a UVF style paramilitary group emerging?

    So let me pre-empt this by saying I dont think the scots will actually vote for independence next year however devolution-max is a distinct possibility within the next decade and that would in the long run at least potentially lead to independence.

    So in the event of a yes vote to independence be it next year or some time in the future do you think a loyalist paramilitary group would emerge in opposition in a post-Independent Scotland?

    Northern Ireland and Scotland have strong historical links on both side of the political divide so its not inconceivable that the UVF and other loyalist paramilitary groups would provide their arms which they have get to decommission to any potential group. Beside the hardcore sterotypical Rangers fan would opposition to an independent Scotland actually manifest itself in any sort or large scale armed resistance? Is there the capability there?
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Mackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    And they have mad dog Jonny Adair living up there and the puppy son if he is out of the clink yet. Starter for 10 Bamber?
    War doesn't work. Give peace a chance.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishWelshCelt View Post
    So let me pre-empt this by saying I dont think the scots will actually vote for independence next year however devolution-max is a distinct possibility within the next decade and that would in the long run at least potentially lead to independence.

    So in the event of a yes vote to independence be it next year or some time in the future do you think a loyalist paramilitary group would emerge in opposition in a post-Independent Scotland?

    Northern Ireland and Scotland have strong historical links on both side of the political divide so its not inconceivable that the UVF and other loyalist paramilitary groups would provide their arms which they have get to decommission to any potential group. Beside the hardcore sterotypical Rangers fan would opposition to an independent Scotland actually manifest itself in any sort or large scale armed resistance? Is there the capability there?
    Unlikely, to say the very least.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member eoghanacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    sitting on my toilet.
    Posts
    33,357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I remember a Rangers supporter who stabbed a Celtic supporter to death after an old firm game, after being sentenced he requested he serve his time in NI amongst UVF prisoners, as he saw it he was equal to them, some would say he was but thats the calibre of 'men' you would get.

    Besides here in Ireland it could be divided between sectarian lines, not so in Scotland so they'd have actually bring themselves to bomb and shoot what are essentially their own.

    Thats not too say it couldn't happen. I just couldn't see it lasting, thankfully.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

  5. #5
    GDPR Deleted
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    103,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    different circumstances without a divide and rule approach from London. The 6 counties had issues for a long time before the 26 became free of London.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Mackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Those Ranger boys see themselves as English. Whilst a fair few of the Celtic faithful see themselves as Irish for the most part. Added to this the Catholic vote in Scotland is pretty much staunch Labour. Interesting times ahead.
    War doesn't work. Give peace a chance.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If MI5/6 get the nod, probably. Otherwise, no.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Dublin 4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Vision & Glory
    Posts
    12,986
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The UVF are an even bigger joke than the Provos - no-one would care...

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    10,277
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
    Those Ranger boys see themselves as English. Whilst a fair few of the Celtic faithful see themselves as Irish for the most part. Added to this the Catholic vote in Scotland is pretty much staunch Labour. Interesting times ahead.
    I know a few ranger supporters in scotland and they would never identify with england.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Mackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by derryman View Post
    I know a few ranger supporters in scotland and they would never identify with england.
    Yep but the amount of English flags at their matches isn't exactly small. To be fair it isn't the same as the North in all respects.
    War doesn't work. Give peace a chance.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •