Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On leaving this cursed isle...where would you go?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default On leaving this cursed isle...where would you go?

Mrs Burnout has suggested to me that another move may be on the cards. This time abroad, out of Ireland...soonish. I am hoping to garner comments from Pie members who live abroad or are contemplating a move. I like the idea of somewhere warm or at least an area that has seasons so as you can plan something. I'm basically frugal and minamalistic so I could live anywhere. Any suggestions?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
    Mrs Burnout has suggested to me that another move may be on the cards. This time abroad, out of Ireland...soonish. I am hoping to garner comments from Pie members who live abroad or are contemplating a move. I like the idea of somewhere warm or at least an area that has seasons so as you can plan something. I'm basically frugal and minamalistic so I could live anywhere. Any suggestions?
    Depends on skills, qualifications, experience, age, finances etc etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Depends on skills, qualifications, experience, age, finances etc etc.
    Leaving out the trivial details above (ha), I'm really looking to concentrate on the 'living' part as in quality of life etc. Where in Europe would you go for a slice of that.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Leaving out the trivial details above (ha), I'm really looking to concentrate on the 'living' part as in quality of life etc. Where in Europe would you go for a slice of that.
    Outside the EU at least, the increasing totalitarianism of this bullying political abortion is scary and to be avoided if at all possible.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

That's the problem - you unfortunately need to consider all those factors. I live in Spain and have been here 8 years - but I'm retired and have a pension. And it is only to somebody in a similar position that I would recommend Spain - chances of getting a decent job - or any job here - are effectively nil.
    The one bit of advice I would give anyone is move wherever, but don't buy a property until you're very sure you want to stay. Forget about the "rental is money down the drain" school of economics - money spent on a year's rent will richly repay itself either by saving you the cost of reversing out of the arrangement if you decide you don't like the place or by what you will learn about the truth of the property market while you're renting.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    That's the problem - you unfortunately need to consider all those factors. I live in Spain and have been here 8 years - but I'm retired and have a pension. And it is only to somebody in a similar position that I would recommend Spain - chances of getting a decent job - or any job here - are effectively nil.
    The one bit of advice I would give anyone is move wherever, but don't buy a property until you're very sure you want to stay. Forget about the "rental is money down the drain" school of economics - money spent on a year's rent will richly repay itself either by saving you the cost of reversing out of the arrangement if you decide you don't like the place or by what you will learn about the truth of the property market while you're renting.
    Do not wish to derail, but are you not lonely over there, Sailor?

I never got this "retiring abroad" lark.

If my day is no longer filled with work tasks and chats with my work colleagues, I want to retire near friends and family whom I can meet for coffee or a walk or gossip.....I want to retire in a city with museums, bookshops, a concert hall, a university with adult education classes, a theatre or two.....

I would get so bored with just a nice view, hot weather, golf and ex-pats.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefly View Post
    Yes , it must be bloooooody awful , how do you keep from killing yourself sailor ?

Yeah I know some people think sunshine and no work will make you happy, but i don't think so...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    Do not wish to derail, but are you not lonely over there, Sailor?

I never got this "retiring abroad" lark.

If my day is no longer filled with work tasks and chats with my work colleagues, I want to retire near friends and family whom I can meet for coffee or a walk or gossip.....I want to retire in a city with museums, bookshops, a concert hall, a university with adult education classes, a theatre or two.....

I would get so bored with just a nice view, hot weather, golf and ex-pats.
    I diagnose you as not being ready to retire
    But I understand your point - and yes there are things one misses, in my case good bookshops, museums, a local library, a warm cosy pub with a fire and a decent pint of Guinness on a winter's evening.
    The social scene you describe, not really, but that's me - the missus says I'm fundamentally anti-social, But I'm just happy with my own company and I like to study and write a little.
    But at the end of the day it's a matter of balance and on balance I am happier here. I go back a few times a year but after a few weeks I always want to get back, this is now home. As for the ex-pats there is an inaccurate perception that they're all over-painted, botoxed auld wan Marbella belles - and there are a few, but most of them are just ordinary folk and they have qualities very endearing to me - they make good friends without prying and without telling one how to run one's life. And, overall, there is a certain careless, couldn't give a sh1t attitude that I find refreshing.
    But, each to his or her own.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes , it must be bloooooody awful , how do you keep from killing yourself sailor ?
    Prozac, San Miguel and Marques de Riscal - but it's not easy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

They do have universities and theaters and museums in sunny countries too you know , each to his own gatsbygirl
    Indeed - the Picasso Museum just down the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast