Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dublin is short of drinking water, again.

Default Dublin is short of drinking water, again.

Dublin City Council have just put the following message on their homepage.

Treated water storage is currently at an unsustainably low level. In an effort to maintain storage we are asking consumers to assist us in maintaining adequate water supplies by restricting their use of water as much as possible. We will be reducing pressures throughout the system in order to conserve supplies. While we will try, as far as possible, to maintain pressures during peak demand periods, pressures will be reduced at other times

Dublin City Council: Services, information and support for the people of Dublin
    My first comment is that if we are short of potable water after a very cold and wet winter, what has this summer got in store for us.

Will we see that pipeline to the Shannon being built sooner than everyone thought ?
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gill View Post

My first comment is that if we are short of potable water after a very cold and wet winter, what has this summer got in store for us.

The very same thought was running through my own mind. It can't be that losses have increased due to pipes bursting either. Seems strange.

I'm sure we can blame it all on wind turbines though.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pat, what they said is that treated water is in short supply - not the actual raw material itself. My guess is that demand is just increasing and we don't have the treatment capacity to supply it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gill View Post

what has this summer got in store for us.
    ?
    Rain

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Water rates imminent. This is their way of justifying that.

No money, no treated water.

Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Love the part " we are repairing breaks as soon as they occur".. there has been a broken pipe in Inchicore for about three weeks, nothing has been done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    Love the part " we are repairing breaks as soon as they occur".. there has been a broken pipe in Inchicore for about three weeks, nothing has been done.
    The Councils have contractors in and they're not working out.... the shirts that made the decision and brought them in won't admit the mistake....

Meanwhile, the water gets pumped into the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    How often have you reported it?

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit v2 View Post
    Pat, what they said is that treated water is in short supply - not the actual raw material itself. My guess is that demand is just increasing and we don't have the treatment capacity to supply it.
    Orbit v2,

You are correct that it is the treated stuff where the shortage is, but the thread title does say drinking water.

I was being mischieveous when I mentioned the Shannon.

Again from their website,
    In addition water demand is currently running higher than average due to the cold weather which has caused an increase in leakage. Our crews are repairing any breaks as they arise. To help us in this regard we would ask people to report any location where they see water rising or running.
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    Water rates imminent. This is their way of justifying that.

No money, no treated water.
    In an effort to maintain storage we are asking consumers to assist us in maintaining adequate water supplies by restricting their use of water as much as possible. We will be reducing pressures throughout the system in order to conserve supplies. While we will try, as far as possible, to maintain pressures during peak demand periods, pressures will be reduced at other times. This will result in lower pressures and in some cases possible loss of supply. People may notice reductions in pressure or loss of supply from 10pm tonight (28th March 2013) to between 7am and 9am on Friday morning (29th March 2013) throughout the entire city.

Water Conservation Notice and Possible Disruption to Water Supply Thursday 28th March 2013 | Major Alerts
    Might be best to wash your hair earlier rather than later.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast