Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog micro chipping. A bit Ruff?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dog micro chipping. A bit Ruff?

Sorry couldn't resist the pun.

However, many rural based pensioners have dogs for company & security. Now to target this group for taxation does seem inequitable. The cost is €20 . I imagine that a number of these older, more conservative, rural dwellers have voted for FG / form part of the traditional FG base. Though not as far reaching in impact as the FF medical card debacle (how many of those protesting pensioners were Dublin / Leinster based?)

The excuse is apparently that Coveney say's he's learned his lesson over the horsemeat scandal.
    Now unless he's scared of Korean food processors this argument seems a bit lame.
    Particularly as his Parliamentry colleague (& Daffy Duck soundalike) raised the issue of chipping of horses 2 years ago (a European Directive) and there did seem to be a bit of long fingering over the issue from Coveney

Dáil Éireann - 29/Jun/2011 Written Answers - EU Directives

However, before attacking the government on the issue of chipping dogs, its worth remembering that some of these rural based mutts are known to wonder into farmers' fields and attack livestock:

ICSA: sheep kills underline need for compulsory microchipping of dogs - ICSA Ireland - Irish Cattle and Sheep Farmers' Association

So given the links between farming and FG, Coveney maybe pandering to his base as much as upsettting it & unless Gimmeemore and his social engineering dinnerparty chums decide to tax Child of Prague statues, perhaps this dog chipping is electorally neutral for the Government in rural Ireland.
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

As usual it is the genuine dog owners who will comply. Those who have no interest in the welfare of dogs will not abide by the law. Personally, I am in favour of dog chips. The main concern that I have is that those ho do not comply, will not get proper vet assistance should the dog need it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Humans next,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dogs as Agricultural Produce??

It is reported that Simon Coveney was motivated to bring in dog microchip legislation as a result of the horse meat scandal. What? Horse Meat mixed in with beef and lamb and pork and - now Dog Meat is feared? I have heard of food traceability "from farm to fork" (Ugghh!) but from kennel to table?

Anyway why is the Mininster for Agriculture involved in microchipping animals that are essentially domestic pets? Should such a measure not come from the Minister for Justice Alan Shatter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We we should micro our TDs find out where the be when there not in the dail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbank View Post
    It is reported that Simon Coveney was motivated to bring in dog microchip legislation as a result of the horse meat scandal. What? Horse Meat mixed in with beef and lamb and pork and - now Dog Meat is feared? I have heard of food traceability "from farm to fork" (Ugghh!) but from kennel to table?

Anyway why is the Mininster for Agriculture involved in microchipping animals that are essentially domestic pets? Should such a measure not come from the Minister for Justice Alan Shatter?
    Hence my Korean food processor comment....
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbank View Post

Perhaps not as far out there as some may think?

Has DOG meat been found in our food? New takeaway horror after experts discover 'mystery meat' in a lamb curry | Mail Online
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So now we are going to have dog wardens going around scanning dogs to see if they are micro chipped and if not, on the spot fines for the persons walking them. It's unbelievable the lengths this government are willing to go to impose taxes on people. Old vulnerable people who keep a dog in the house for company and as a burglar deterrent are once again being forced to pay for the mistakes of criminal bankers and property developers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This has been planned for a while now but they kept a muzzle on it. Personally, I think they're barking up the wrong tree.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm beginning to wonder if FG can imagine any solution to any problem that doesn't involve people having to pay the private sector for services they don't actually want/need.

Their answer to the water "crisis" was a plan to install water meters and pay a private company over 5 years. Theie answer to the "carnage" on tye road was to double the frequency of NCTs and now the response to the packs of feral dogs rampaging our cities (I presume) will be to pay the vets to microchip dogs.

No wonder FG are considered the business(wo) man's party.
    The more things change....

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast