Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oireachteas Debate on Alcohol sponsorship of sport

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Oireachteas Debate on Alcohol sponsorship of sport

Just listening to the Last Word.
    Eamon Coughlan and Eamon Moloney (Lab)
    Debating todays session
    John Delaney (FAI )laid the consequences of sponsorship removal on the line as he saw them.
    Coughlan made a very valid observation about Nestle being forced to remove sponsorship of children's athletics.
    As a consequence there has been no sponsorship since.
    Matt Cooper made the same point about the removal of tobacco sponsorship from snooker.
    Moloney spluttered and couldn't respond to either point.
    That Moloney character really struck me as someone who doesn't listen to anyone.
    A microcosm of the puritian priggish streak is developing in the current body politic.
    Loads of prohibition and censorship planned, and to hell with peoples responsibility to be responsible for themselves and their own actions.
    Be seen to do something for the idiot electorates benefit.
    And nothing else
    Its only a chat, we ain't the world council.

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't worry about this one. A certain large alcohol beverage company will spike this lot fairly quickly.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a vague (vague!) recollection that Booze was served for a certain rugby match on Good Friday a couple of Year's ago.

Musgrave park maybe.

But I am probably hallucinating. As usual.
    Last edited by asset test; 27th March 2013 at 08:52 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    I have a vague (vague!) recollection that Booze was served for a certain rugby match on Good Friday a couple of Year's ago.

Thomnd Park maybe.

But I am probably hallucinating. As usual.

No youre not. But of course certain members of the establishment like to ingratiate themselves with the main sporting organisations and drinks companies. No favours asked or expected you understand like a free bottle here and there or complimentary tickets occasionally. Anybody see the hard necked John Delaney pleading that the drinks companies sponsorship be not withdrawn? This from a guy who was filmed in Poland last year half pissed among Irish fans. Makes you wonder what his motivation is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Marketing is misinformation.
    The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled, you just become a replica of someone else's mind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wishywashy View Post
    No youre not. But of course certain members of the establishment like to ingratiate themselves with the main sporting organisations and drinks companies. No favours asked or expected you understand like a free bottle here and there or complimentary tickets occasionally. Anybody see the hard necked John Delaney pleading that the drinks companies sponsorship be not withdrawn? This from a guy who was filmed in Poland last year half pissed among Irish fans. Makes you wonder what his motivation is.
    Yeah, wasnt sure if Musgrave or Thomond, but do recall the rules were changed. For that match.

But the rest of us had to obey the Good Friday alcohol rules.

That's my point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just saw the live procedings.
    Pity the politicians weren't so diligent and forceful with the banks.
    Its only a chat, we ain't the world council.

Dylan2010

Im seeing it now with my kids, soccer is a cess pit of dodgy advertising and product placement. The best thing you can do is to teach the next generation to treat professional "sports" like WWF and actually get out and play the damn games. The politicans are for the birds though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post
    I wouldn't worry about this one. A certain large alcohol beverage company will spike this lot fairly quickly.
    I'm not so sure.

The Labour idealogues are gaggin for this. Doesn't matter (in the slightest) if it is totally counter productive - it will be victory over the evil capitalists.

They need to take their victories when they can.
    I have measured out my life with coffee spoons......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wishywashy View Post
    What - free drink - are you serious?
    I have measured out my life with coffee spoons......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast