Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Childcare

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Childcare

No thread on Varadkar's comments I see. You could make some conclusions about the demographics of p.ie right there I reckon.

Anyway, Varadkar has put his foot in it.

Varadkar: Some women will have to choose between career or mortgage | Irish Examiner

While at a cold economic level I will admit this calculation does make sense, he is bloody stupid to phrase it in relation exclusively to women. It's probable that the brain was not fully engaged before speaking.

Meanwhile Stephen Kinsella has been making the point that childcare costs in this state are excessive, and that providing affordable childcare would act as an economic driver.

Stephen Kinsella: Benefits to supporting childcare are clear

So why is childcare in Ireland so expensive, and what can be done about it? Or should anything be done about it?

Is it over-regulation, scarcity of supply, overheads or old fashioned gouging?

Easy fix for this I think. Get schools to open from 7am until 6 pm using qualified care staff. As the premises are already insured, lit and heated they could charge parents half the amount currently being paid for childcare in private creches and as a bonus raise extra funds for the school

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notinventedhere View Post
    Easy fix for this I think. Get schools to open from 7am until 6 pm using qualified care staff. As the premises are already insured, lit and heated they could charge parents half the amount currently being paid for childcare in private creches and as a bonus raise extra funds for the school
    I'm not sure that is practicable, or that teachers would welcome childcare facilities on the premises. Also there is an issue with classroom availability and such forth. We're not exactly in a position to be launching into a massive capital spending programme to convert rooms in schools for that purpose. It's not like they can simply drag in and and drag out a load of playpens every morning and evening.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A classic P.ie poster solution. One question, where do the crèche children go while classrooms are being used during the school day?

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The guy is some moron for one man.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds good at first.....but where do you mind the children and with what facilities?

Childcare needs to be for children from 3 months up. That means changing, sleeping and cooking facilities.

Will it be for all children or just children intending to enrol in that school?

My solution would be for school going children at first with facilities for younger children added later and most modern school facilities have creches built in. E.g educate together in Lucan
    Last edited by notinventedhere; 27th March 2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: added another point

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cellach View Post
    I'm not sure that is practicable, or that teachers would welcome childcare facilities on the premises. Also there is an issue with classroom availability and such forth. We're not exactly in a position to be launching into a massive capital spending programme to convert rooms in schools for that purpose. It's not like they can simply drag in and and drag out a load of playpens every morning and evening.
    Yup.
    Here the system is that when school has finished the kids go to the garderie for after-school care. This is a separate part of the school premises, differently equipped and with a different staff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My solution is for school going children and most modern school facilities have creches built in. E.g educate together in Lucan
    This may surprise you, but the educate together in Lucan is not typical of the school facilities in Ireland. Also, the most expensive and necessary time of childcare is before children are ready to go to school.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So , lets say, for a school going child aged 5 in junior infants in a normal school. Where do they get 'minded'?

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast