Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 113

Thread: Who died so we could vote?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Who died so we could vote?

    Just heard somebody on radio sayin people fought and died so we could have the right to vote.
    Just wondering who he was talkin about.I can think of the people who fought Hitler and that bird that jumped in front of the kings horse.

    Anyone else?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The World
    Posts
    14,792
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harpsman View Post
    Just heard somebody on radio sayin people fought and died so we could have the right to vote.
    Just wondering who he was talkin about.I can think of the people who fought Hitler and that bird that jumped in front of the kings horse.

    Anyone else?
    My Granny?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Oops sorry, misread the title.

    Thought it said 'Lied so we could vote' how disappointing!

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    10,373
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    My Granny?
    How so?

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cylon-occupied Caprica
    Posts
    3,658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I thought the very same thing. The direct implication is that the lads in the GPO, or the Old IRA died to get us the vote - ignoring the small fact that there was virtual universal suffrage at that point.

  6. #6
    Moderator Munnkeyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In a tree.
    Posts
    7,328
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Default

    Genghis Khan.
    Flash a-ah - King of the impossible

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    25,995
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harpsman View Post
    Just heard somebody on radio sayin people fought and died so we could have the right to vote.
    Just wondering who he was talkin about.I can think of the people who fought Hitler and that bird that jumped in front of the kings horse.

    Anyone else?
    Wat Tyler?
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member RobertW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    20,477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Imagine dying so others could vote for Charles Haughey or Bertie Ahern.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tubbs View Post
    I thought the very same thing. The direct implication is that the lads in the GPO, or the Old IRA died to get us the vote - ignoring the small fact that there was virtual universal suffrage at that point.
    I once pointed this out to an obnoxious "all four of my great-grandads died in the GPO so you people could vote" type in a bar. It didn't end well.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member drummed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgrade Serbia
    Posts
    37,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    Imagine dying so others could vote for Charles Haughey or Bertie Ahern.


    Or dying so you could vote?
    Сохранить Украины

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •