Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 307 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 3070

Thread: Meath East Polling day coverage and results

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,626
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default Meath East Polling day coverage and results

    The big day is here and voters in Kells go to the polls in an effort to replace FG TD Shane McEntee who passed away in 2012. McEntee garnered 20% of the first preference vote and FG over all closed with 41% of the FPV. This was a reversal from the 2007 vote which saw FF take 43% of the FPV

    For some unknown reason there have been no decent polls run in the area, so we can't get into the fascinating discussion on the differences in voting patterns in Kilmore and Trohanny.

    The bookies have it neck and neck at 5/6 for both Helen McEntee (FG) and Thomas Byrne (FF).

    SF's Darren O’Rourke thinks we're all loons and that the "strong feedback" his party have is that this is a neck and neck race between him and Byrne. Let's all remember that when the final numbers are in. It sounds delusional on the face of it to be claiming he's going to have at least tripled SF's single digit result from 2011 by the end of the day.

    Byrne getting his odds down that much is really pretty impressive. Not only do FG have the most recent background of 41% of the FPV, they've also got coalition partner Labour's transfers (from the no chancer Eoin Holmes) to fall back on (Lab polled 21% in the last election). A spanner was thrown in the works yesterday though with the Labour party on the ground not making the right noises about transfers.

    McEntee Sr was a 2 term TD, FG are still top in the national polls, the party(should) just have to consolidate the 62% FPV available to them in order to win as FF may still have transfer issues. Like Crawley in the UK, anything less than a win for FG today would be seen as a major blow.

    A win for FF would be a huge boost to Martin, a single digit polling for Labour (Halving it's FPV from 2011) will call for a rethink on the way they're working in govt. A loss would also be a blow for Kenny who's been on the ground actively pushing hard for this. On the flip side of course, a win for FG will just lead to people saying "Well they were expected to weren't they?"

    FF and Fine Gael vying for top spot in Meath East byelection - Political News | Irish & International Politics | The Irish Times - Wed, Mar 27, 2013
    By-election gets bitter as Labour attacks Taoiseach - Independent.ie
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    4,530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    The big day is here and voters in Kells go to the polls in an effort to replace FG TD Shane McEntee who passed away in 2012. McEntee garnered 20% of the first preference vote and FG over all closed with 41% of the FPV. This was a reversal from the 2007 vote which saw FF take 43% of the FPV

    For some unknown reason there have been no decent polls run in the area, so we can't get into the fascinating discussion on the differences in voting patterns in Kilmore and Trohanny.

    The bookies have it neck and neck at 5/6 for both Helen McEntee (FG) and Thomas Byrne (FF).

    SF's Darren O’Rourke thinks we're all loons and that the "strong feedback" his party have is that this is a neck and neck race between him and Byrne. Let's all remember that when the final numbers are in. It sounds delusional on the face of it to be claiming he's going to have at least tripled SF's single digit result from 2011 by the end of the day.

    Byrne getting his odds down that much is really pretty impressive. Not only do FG have the most recent background of 41% of the FPV, they've also got coalition partner Labour's transfers (from the no chancer Eoin Holmes) to fall back on (Lab polled 21% in the last election). A spanner was thrown in the works yesterday though with the Labour party on the ground not making the right noises about transfers.

    McEntee Sr was a 2 term TD, FG are still top in the national polls, the party(should) just have to consolidate the 62% FPV available to them in order to win as FF may still have transfer issues. Like Crawley in the UK, anything less than a win for FG today would be seen as a major blow.

    A win for FF would be a huge boost to Martin, a single digit polling for Labour (Halving it's FPV from 2011) will call for a rethink on the way they're working in govt. A loss would also be a blow for Kenny who's been on the ground actively pushing hard for this. On the flip side of course, a win for FG will just lead to people saying "Well they were expected to weren't they?"

    FF and Fine Gael vying for top spot in Meath East byelection - Political News | Irish & International Politics | The Irish Times - Wed, Mar 27, 2013
    By-election gets bitter as Labour attacks Taoiseach - Independent.ie


    1st bold. Are you showing your bias here sink? Kells is not all of the constituency.

    2nd bold. He committed suicide, he did not pass away anywhere. Those stupid euphemisms will get you nowhere.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    26,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Vote Ben Gilroy,

    Let's shake things up a bit,

    Cyprus is your future unless things change dramatically,

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    Vote Ben Gilroy,

    Let's shake things up a bit,

    Cyprus is your future unless things change dramatically,
    Cyprus is our present!!

  5. #5

    Default

    Shake things up by voting for a Christian Solidarity Party and Freeman front organisation - only in Ireland

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,626
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    Vote Ben Gilroy,

    Let's shake things up a bit,
    I'm really surprised someone with a bit of profile didn't stand on a heavy anti-austerity ticket to try and make this a referendum on the govt's actions. I think the makeup of the constituency is against it, but timing wise, if someone had been giving hell and brimstone speechs against the EU in the build up to this, the current Cyprus situation could have really helped.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member williewatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Downtown Limerick
    Posts
    3,122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Poor opening post. Send this thread to the zoo and let someone else start a decent thread on this topic.

    Here sync....just to soften your FF cough

    Listen as your candidate endorses Bertie Ahern and gets endorsed by Bertie in return

    Last edited by williewatch; 27th March 2013 at 10:22 AM.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    26,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardDeClare View Post
    Cyprus is our present!!
    Not quite, if they don't open the banks torrmorriw, it'll be Monday Tuesday at the earliest,,

    And the banks won't open tomorrow,

    Cyprus is fast approaching shortages of fuel and food,

    We ain't there, yet,

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    4,530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by williewatch View Post
    Poor opening post. Send this thread to the zoo and let someone else start a decent thread on this topic.

    Best post on this OP.

    In your dreams, this is sink doncha know! petunia

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,626
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by williewatch View Post
    Poor opening post. Send this thread to the zoo and let someone else start a decent thread on this topic.
    Which part do you disagree with?
    1. An FF win would be a huge boost to Martin?
    2. An FG loss would be a blow to the party and Kenny?
    3. A single digit Labour performance will call for changes in thinking?
    4. Poll-free belief that SF are going to at least triple their FPV and that they're not competing against FG is fanciful at best?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Page 1 of 307 123451151101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •