Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinn Fien and the Red Arrows at airshows in NI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Sinn Fien and the Red Arrows at airshows in NI

Sinn Fein councillor attacks Red Arrows return to Northern Ireland - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Down District Council has announced the Red Arrows will be one of the key attractions of its summer tourist programme.

When the aerial daredevils first appeared in Newcastle four years ago, it attracted a crowd of more than 100,000 to the Co Down coast.

But Sinn Fein has shot down the plans to throw out the red carpet to the display team as part of a Festival of Flight festival on August 10.
    Just wondering what everyone thinks? Do Sinn Fien have a point, or do you see this as Sinn Fien going against anything British again?

I am a huge airshow and airplane fanatic, I love studying and watching aircrafts from all around the world. The Festival of Flight is Newcastle's busiest day of the year and provides many local businesses with a lot of much needed income with close to 100,000 coming to the town every year for the show.

The Reds were not at the show last year, but Sinn Fien in 2010 wanted the Red Arrows to fly with purple smoke to be 'neutral' this was a more off cut comment by a local Sinn Fien member, nothing major. But this is not the first time they have protested about the Arrows in Newcastle.

Personally, I think this is Sinn Fien just being stupid. Even a few harder line nationalists I know love the airshows and aircraft. The Newcastle airshow is growing and becoming a regular fixture in NI festivals. Sinn Fien see it as ' promoting British Military' where as the thousands see it as a great day out for all.

Your thoughts... and please try to keep it reasonable without the usual crap lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amazing show the Red Arrows put on. Sheer brilliance. Don't see why the Shinners should object to them. They are world renowned, much like the Shinners.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results: I present, The Irish politcal system: Thank you Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They are truthfully the only ones objecting. Everyone I have spoken too love them. I doubt it will do much. Newcastle is having a 'jet fest' this year with their airshow with many fast jets with the Eurofighter confirmed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is absolutely pathetic. The colour of the smoke isn't "neutral"?

I've heard it all now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm a South Down man and this is (unusually) news I have not heard!

I'm a nationalist, can't wait for the Red Arrows to return, they were missed last summer!

When Sinn Fein can fly I'll listen to them gurn about an air show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Zoo Material...........end of.

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by belfast1981 View Post
    Sinn Fein councillor attacks Red Arrows return to Northern Ireland - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Just wondering what everyone thinks? Do Sinn Fien have a point, or do you see this as Sinn Fien going against anything British again?

I am a huge airshow and airplane fanatic, I love studying and watching aircrafts from all around the world. The Festival of Flight is Newcastle's busiest day of the year and provides many local businesses with a lot of much needed income with close to 100,000 coming to the town every year for the show.

The Reds were not at the show last year, but Sinn Fien in 2010 wanted the Red Arrows to fly with purple smoke to be 'neutral' this was a more off cut comment by a local Sinn Fien member, nothing major. But this is not the first time they have protested about the Arrows in Newcastle.

Personally, I think this is Sinn Fien just being stupid. Even a few harder line nationalists I know love the airshows and aircraft. The Newcastle airshow is growing and becoming a regular fixture in NI festivals. Sinn Fien see it as ' promoting British Military' where as the thousands see it as a great day out for all.

Your thoughts... and please try to keep it reasonable without the usual crap lol
    Mate I think this is just one particular Shinner having a pop at the Brits over Afghanistan, I don't think SF will oppose this.

Often this kind of story comes from one particular councillor chatting chit and then some paper latches on to it.

As for the Shinners attacking Britishness, this will keep happening while the Unionists try to block Irishness, both sides need to man-up and face the reality of this place.

Embrace both identities!
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InsideImDancing View Post

Embrace both identities!
    Well said!

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmca1 View Post
    I'm a South Down man and this is (unusually) news I have not heard!

I'm a nationalist, can't wait for the Red Arrows to return, they were missed last summer!

When Sinn Fein can fly I'll listen to them gurn about an air show.
    When you read it mate, it's one Shinner having a pop at the Brits, a non-story really.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InsideImDancing View Post
    When you read it mate, it's one Shinner having a pop at the Brits, a non-story really.
    To be fair to SF, I think I've read similar stories before from all sides on similar stories!

I think for the most part, the people in South Down welcome the Red Arrows - keeps the tourists along the Promenade!

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast