Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Printed Guns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 3D Printed Guns

Cody R Wilson has figured out how to print a semi-automatic rifle from the comfort of his own home. Now he's putting all the information online so that others will join him.

This is a story about the rapid evolution of a technology that has forced the American legal system to play catch up. Cody Wilson, a 24 year old University of Texas Law student, is an advocate for the open source production of firearms using 3D printing technology. This makes him a highly controversial figure on both sides of the gun control issue.

3D printing is set to boom, itís clear that Wilson and company have changed the boundaries of what that boom will bring.

Only one thing matters: live a good, happy life. Do your heart's bidding, even when it leads you on paths that timid souls would avoid. Even when life is a torment, don't let it harden you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can you print ammunition?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ya now all we need is a 3D printer that can produce a gun that wont explode when a bullet is shot from it.

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Feelinglost View Post
    Cody R Wilson has figured out how to print a semi-automatic rifle from the comfort of his own home. Now he's putting all the information online so that others will join him.

This is a story about the rapid evolution of a technology that has forced the American legal system to play catch up. Cody Wilson, a 24 year old University of Texas Law student, is an advocate for the open source production of firearms using 3D printing technology. This makes him a highly controversial figure on both sides of the gun control issue.

3D printing is set to boom, itís clear that Wilson and company have changed the boundaries of what that boom will bring.

I am an advocate of 3D printing and strongly support the technology being widely used.

Cody Wilson is a complete and utter idiot for putting such a thing out on the net.

I could easily work out how to do what he did on my own, but would never put such a thing out on the internet.

Cody Wilson is as irresponsible as the morons who unleased the Stuxnet virus on the internet.

I would support banning him from ever having an internet connection again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heligoland View Post
    Technically it is possible, but the price of the equipment to build a printer capable of that would be well over the €10million mark at present. On top of that you would have to illegally acquire gunpowder for the printer. It would not be worth the bother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobhguy View Post
    Ya now all we need is a 3D printer that can produce a gun that wont explode when a bullet is shot from it.
    3D printing can print metal as well as plastics. Metal is more high end at present, but dropping in price.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heligoland View Post
    According to one of one the pioneers of the open design movement, Ronen Kadushin, it is indeed possible.
    Only one thing matters: live a good, happy life. Do your heart's bidding, even when it leads you on paths that timid souls would avoid. Even when life is a torment, don't let it harden you.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The premise of 3D printed guns is wildly overstated. What these guys are actually producing is a small plastic PART of a gun (the lower receiver) which is far from "a gun" as most people would understand it. It is legally constituted as a gun in the U.S. as this part is where the serial numbers are usually stamped.

I would attach some links outlining the limitations of the 3D printing process in relation to producing a gun, but I am not yet in the magical circle of trust that allows me to carry on such nefarious activities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jesus....

Don't let Hitch 22 see this..... that'll be the end of him altogether.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    Technically it is possible, but the price of the equipment to build a printer capable of that would be well over the €10million mark at present. On top of that you would have to illegally acquire gunpowder for the printer. It would not be worth the bother.
    I know fup all about 3D printing.

Do you have any good links about it?

Pretty please?

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast