Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Telegraph latest to put up universal paywall

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Daily Telegraph latest to put up universal paywall

The Daily Telegraph is to extend its paywall to us in the UK. Up until now there was no restriction on UK readers, though readers in other countries (including Ireland) could only click a maximum of 20 pages per month before the paywall went up. This latter arrangement is now covering us in the UK too.

The New York Times, The Times and other papers have put up paywalls to get more revenue from their readers.
    All newspaper organisations are facing more competition from the likes of Google, blogs and non-traditional media as well.
    BBC News - Telegraph extends paywall to UK readers

How long will it be before the seemingly inevitable happens and all main newspaper groups go behind paywalls? It is quite clear that the printed press is on life support at the moment, and it seems fairly obvious that they cannot afford to continue not charging for online content without losses and staff cuts, etc.

Is it fair enough that we pay for reading their work, rather than being complicit in the demise of print media by parasitically enjoying (or not) the content for nothing? Or are the newspaper groups being short-sighted here in not reassessing their business structure in order to maximise advertising revenue online, broadening readership as wide as possible, in order to compete with exclusively online (and free) news content?

Will paywalls soon be the norm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    The Daily Telegraph is to extend its paywall to us in the UK. Up until now there was no restriction on UK readers, though readers in other countries (including Ireland) could only click a maximum of 20 pages per month before the paywall went up. This latter arrangement is now covering us in the UK too.

How long will it be before the seemingly inevitable happens and all main newspaper groups go behind paywalls? It is quite clear that the printed press is on life support at the moment, and it seems fairly obvious that they cannot afford to continue not charging for online content without losses and staff cuts, etc.

Is it fair enough that we pay for reading their work, rather than being complicit in the demise of print media by parasitically enjoying (or not) the content for nothing? Or are the newspaper groups being short-sighted here in not reassessing their business structure in order to maximise advertising revenue online, broadening readership as wide as possible, in order to compete with exclusively online (and free) news content?

That's awful , I think I might even cry
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What other business would attempt to simultaneously sell its product while giving it away for free?

If newspapers are to survive then they must not only go behind paywalls, they must also offer unique content that people are willing to pay for and cannot get elsewhere for free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Daily Telegraph is to extend its paywall to us in the UK. Up until now there was no restriction on UK readers, though readers in other countries (including Ireland) could only click a maximum of 20 pages per month before the paywall went up. ...

I'm surprised to read that bolded bit T A. I buy the paper copy every day, but also use the Telegraph website. I most definitely visit more than twenty times a month and have never came up against a pay-wall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Newspapers are well on their way to marginalize themselves. People generally do not subscribe to more than one or two print newspapers and they will not do so for Internet ones. Signing up for to read articles is always a hassle as it is, and the subscription model of monthly fees... people can't afford but a couple and will choose not to afford even them.

Some high class specialty publication may be an expection, but publishers of any other rag will find themselves handing their Internet business for other actors and see they are not so highly thought of as they think.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Or are the newspaper groups being short-sighted here in not reassessing their business structure in order to maximise advertising revenue online, broadening readership as wide as possible, in order to compete with exclusively online (and free) news content?
    If the reassessment ends up like the new Irish Times website then we are going to be condemned to Facebook like picture led content, with multiple pages to generate click through advertising revenue. Frankly if that's the new business model then no thanks.

Treat me like an adult that doesn't necessarily need visual clues to 'get' the gist of the article from the title, with an intuitive interface and first class content - I won't mind paying for it.
    It's not so much 'letting yourself go' as it is 'succumbing to the inevitable'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another bookmark deleted.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neiphin View Post
    That's awful , I think I might even cry
    Daily Telegraph readers don't cry

- they make other people do the crying...
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zippo222 View Post
    I'm surprised to read that bolded bit T A. I buy the paper copy every day, but also use the Telegraph website. I most definitely visit more than twenty times a month and have never came up against a pay-wall.
    I click on 5+ articles In the London Telegraph most days. I've never seen a pay-wall.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zippo222 View Post
    Its been on/off over here anyway

Some days good...some days bad...
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast