Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposal for new Euro constituencies.

Default Proposal for new Euro constituencies.

With Croatia joining the EU, Ireland will have one less MEP in next year's Euro elections. At the moment we have four three seat constituencies and as we now will only be electing 11 MEPs, we need to have some consolidation. in the current constituencies.

My proposal is to leave Dublin untouched with the constituency matching the old Dublin county boundary. With a population of 1.27m it is an almost perfect match for three seats.

The second constituency should be the BMW region, containing all the counties in Connacht and Ulster and Longford, Westmeath, Laois, Offaly and Louth from Leinster. The population is 1.24m, just a fraction off the three seats but justified by the area that it covers.

The third constituency would cover the remaining counties of Leinster and all of Munster. With a population of 2.07, again it's a perfect match for 5 seats.

Anyone got a better plan?
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    With Croatia joining the EU, Ireland will have one less MEP in next year's Euro elections. At the moment we have four three seat constituencies and as we now will only be electing 11 MEPs, we need to have some consolidation. in the current constituencies.

My proposal is to leave Dublin untouched with the constituency matching the old Dublin county boundary. With a population of 1.27m it is an almost perfect match for three seats.

The second constituency should be the BMW region, containing all the counties in Connacht and Ulster and Longford, Westmeath, Laois, Offaly and Louth from Leinster. The population is 1.24m, just a fraction off the three seats but justified by the area that it covers.

The third constituency would cover the remaining counties of Leinster and all of Munster. With a population of 2.07, again it's a perfect match for 5 seats.

Why bother to vote, they are awaste of tax payers money Send a Message back to our lords and masters .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Change the law and provide for one constituency for the State.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post

You were reading the Irish Independent 3 weeks ago, clearly.

Which 2 of these 3 constituencies do you intend to register to vote in?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tubbs View Post
    You were reading the Irish Independent 3 weeks ago, clearly.

Which 2 of these 3 constituencies do you intend to register to vote in?
    I don't know which of these statements I should take most umbrage at.

I'm worried if the II is in agreement with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    Change the law and provide for one constituency for the State.
    I do think that regional concerns to to be represented in Europe. And 11 seat constituency with a list system would be unwieldy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Report is out. 3 seat Dublin and 4 seat South and Midlands/North-West.

http://www.constituency-commission.i...ncies-2013.pdf

Big losers are Labour/Greens/SP etc. FF and FG I think are the winners. Mairead McGuinness will run in the North constituency giving FG 2 of those seats with 1 SF and FF/Ind fighting out the last seat.

South should again give FG 2 seats 1FF and 1 seat in the air - SF might be the favourite.

Dublin should be 1 FG/SF and the last a close run between Labour/FF/and the strongest non-party candidate.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Looks like a pretty logical layout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Looks like a pretty logical layout
    Yeah. They got the deviation from the average population down to under 2% - can't argue with that. But of course it means Leinster is split down the middle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    Yeah. They got the deviation from the average population down to under 2% - can't argue with that. But of course it means Leinster is split down the middle.
    The Two four seat Constituencies are also massive and very diverse, but that was unavoidable.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast