Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Public sector unions should NOT invite ministers to their conferences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Public sector unions should NOT invite ministers to their conferences.

This week the representatives of the Gardaí - the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors (AGSI) and the Garda Representative Association (GRA) - are holding their conference. Next week it'll be the turn of the teachers unions in the INTO, the ASTI & the TUI.

At all four conferences the Minister for Justice (Shatter) and the Minister for Education & Skills (Quinn) will be invited by the leaders of the unions/representatives to address the conference.

The Minister will sit with the union leaders for the entire duration.

But why should these organisations invite their relevant minister as each minister has history of ignoring these representatives and treating them with contempt?

For instance Quinn announced changes which effectively will lead to the abolition of the Junior Certificate and only told the union leaders an hour before his speech. Parents representatives were also ignored. Shatter has closed police stations in a similar manner.

Ignoring these Ministers would, in a way, make them appear irrelevant.

They (the Ministers) have nothing to contribute to the provision of services in education and policing except to come cap in hand to the unions looking for money.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    This week the representatives of the Gardaí - the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors (AGSI) and the Garda Representative Association (GRA) - are holding their conference. Next week it'll be the turn of the teachers unions in the INTO, the ASTI & the TUI.

At all four conferences the Minister for Justice (Shatter) and the Minister for Education & Skills (Quinn) will be invited by the leaders of the unions/representatives to address the conference.

The Minister will sit with the union leaders for the entire duration.

But why should these organisations invite their relevant minister as each minister has history of ignoring these representatives and treating them with contempt?

For instance Quinn announced changes which effectively will lead to the abolition of the Junior Certificate and only told the union leaders an hour before his speech. Parents representatives were also ignored. Shatter has closed police stations in a similar manner.

They (the Ministers) have nothing to contribute to the provision of services in education and policing except to come cap in hand to the unions looking for money.
    So the irrelevant ignoring the irrelevant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davoid View Post
    So the irrelevant ignoring the irrelevant?
    Shoulda known you'd be along.

I'd hardly call those providing the services irrelevant.

You'll find the most irrelevant who are paid by the state are usually the highest paid (excluding doctors, consultants and other medical staff) . . You know - Jokers like Quinn & Shatter.

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This has to be one of the dumbest OPs on this site...

What's your plan Robert?

Cut off all contact?

You may be deeply immersed in union La La Land and think that what unions want must be given all the time every time...

Not all of us live in union La La Land however... and thankfully for now at least we still live in a kind of democracy and not a union dictatorship...

Even by your standards this is one p!ss poor thread...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shoulda known you'd be along.

I'd hardly call those providing the services irrelevant.

You'll find the most irrelevant who are paid by the state are usually the highest paid (excluding doctors, consultants and other medical staff) . . You know - Jokers like Quinn & Shatter.
    When I say ireelevant I'm referring to the beards who love to disgorge themselves of their longwinded verbosity at the drinkins & gabfests they call annual conferences

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post

What's your plan Robert?

Cut off all contact?

You may be deeply immersed in union La La Land and think that what unions want must be given all the time every time...

Not all of us live in union La La Land however... and thankfully for now at least we still live in a kind of democracy and not a union dictatorship...

Yes, Robert believes that the best way to convince someone that you have a case is to ignore them.

Another robertsh1te.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post

What's your plan Robert?

Cut off all contact?

My standards?

You have no standards beyond writing profanities and shíte in virtually every sentence.

The point I've made is clear. Unions should just ignore relevant ministers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davoid View Post
    Yes, Robert believes that the best way to convince someone that you have a case is to ignore them.

Another robertsh1te.
    Aren't you aware of the fact that unions are being ignored?

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My standards?

You have no standards beyond writing profanities and shíte in virtually every sentence.

The point I've made is clear. Unions should just ignore relevant ministers.
    Your 'point' is complete boll*cks.

I'm not sure you're the full shilling at all...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It would appear that way the first time because whoever did it would get nice media coverage. Then the second time it would be mentioned in passing. And then the third time it wouldn't be mentioned at all. And the union leaders would speak to their attendees and nobody else. And the minister would continue to make decisions they're elected to make, they just wouldn't have to spend time giving the cursory polite speech to pretend they're listening at the union meetings.

Garda main points: We want more pay and more people
    Teachers main points: We want more pay and more people
    Nurses main points: We want more pay and more people

There. I've just saved Shatter, Quinn and Reilly hours of their lives.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast