Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Robinson Wants The British Army Back On the Street

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Peter Robinson Wants The British Army Back On the Street

operation Snowman...
    First Minister Peter Robinson has called for the Territorial Army to be drafted in to deal with the Northern Ireland weather crisis.
    First Minister Peter Robinson calls for Territorial Army help to deal with Northern Ireland weather crisis - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

As spring bring's society to a halt, a few flakes of snow own't deter our brave lads, snow surrender...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

SF getting in on the act too...
    Sinn Fein Agriculture Minister Michelle O’Neill has confirmed the Army will help with the clean-up and rescue operation in the rural areas of Northern Ireland hardest hit by snow.
    Army will provide Chinook helicopter for snow-hit areas - Headlines - Belfast Newsletter

good to see paisley road got cleared quickly...

Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Andytownews columist has the story :
    Squinter ‏@squinteratn 9m

TA heading to Ballymurphy to help out. Bayonets fixed on shovels. Chinook landing in Turf Lodge with supplies has two door-gunners

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Women in Ballymurphy can't find any solid ground to bang the binlids on due to the snow!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vivabrigada View Post
    Women in Ballymurphy can't find any solid ground to bang the binlids on due to the snow!
    They wouldn't be out in this weather no point in getting the slippers and pj's wet...

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SF has now specifically requested British soldiers and helicopters come to our aid. How does this sit with SF voters and members on here?

BTB, you could have made a hornets nest of a thread here! Missed opportunity.
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Castle Ray

Plans for the TA to be deployed to assist rural communities and farmers here were at an advanced stage prior to Robinson requesting it. He was in Brazil or at least flying back when that was underway. A Chinook was also being prepared for airlift assistance yesterday or the day before. At least that's my understanding of it. Is this not the case?

Would a SF politician or voter really care if the army or air force assist with the plight facing rural communities, farmers and their livestock? Would they prefer people not to be assisted? Surely SF are supporters of the GFA and they support the constitutional position of NI? Nobody is asking those assisted or asking for assistance to swear an oath to Her Majesty, so what could possibly be the problem for any SF voter, member, or Politician?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't like armies of any hue. I don't like the wars they fight, which are VERY rarely justifiable, despite the propaganda. I don't like the fact they can often commit any kind of injustice and get away with it, if they are on the winning side anyway. If you think I'm exaggerating, read some history.
    But even I grudgingly admit they might be of some use in this type of case. I suppose...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    SF getting in on the act too...

Army will provide Chinook helicopter for snow-hit areas - Headlines - Belfast Newsletter

good to see paisley road got cleared quickly...

Are you sure she means the British Army and not the RA vets?

Heck if I was a farmer I'd fertiliser bomb my way out of the snow myself, if it wasn't illegal.

A Chinook is excessive and will only serve the few.

Quote Originally Posted by physicist View Post
    Are you sure she means the British Army and not the RA vets?

Heck if I was a farmer I'd fertiliser bomb my way out of the snow myself, if it wasn't illegal.

A Chinook is excessive and will only serve the few.
    Here comes the boys now....

michelle oneill ‏@moneillsf 23m
    Irish Air corp secured for helicopter assistance in weather crisis after discussions with Alan Shatter TD minister in 26 counties
    Retweeted by Sinn Féin

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast