Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Bernard Dunne, Kevin Myers and the Irish Language

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bernard Dunne, Kevin Myers and the Irish Language

The former bantam weight world champion Bernard Dunne didn't manage to pass his academic Irish exams in school... due to being exhausted from training the nights before the early-morning classes!

His interest in the language was kindled in the USA, encountering for example a Mexican-American family proud of their Mexican-Spanish language heritage.

He has now taken to learning the language with gusto, and is improving all the time, hoping to be proficient before too long: he is in a race with his children to get "fluent" first!

Kevin Myers and Paul McGrath have endorsed his efforts to encourage people across Ireland and the world to use whatever Irish they have, and to be proud to use it... hence Bród (Pride) and the Bród Club.

I was excited to read Bernard's interview on Beo! today; there was an infectious enthusiasm about it. I think it is partly because he is coming from a "tough area" of Dublin, his personal massive achievement of becoming a world boxing champion, and his willingness to turn the page on not acquiring Irish in a formal school setting and settting out to learn the language himself.

I am sorry if this has been discussed before. The Beo! article has lots of vocabulary help if you just roll your mouse over "difficult" phrases or words, if you'd like to have a go at reading it.

Anyway, what do you make of Bernard Dunne's public efforts with one of our two official languages? Do you agree there is something fresh about it? Or is it just more of the same?
    Last edited by cashinhand; 26th March 2013 at 11:02 AM.

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fair play to Bernard Dunne, and anyone else who takes up such a project.
    it will be interesting to see how it goes for him.

I was fluent as a child but badly need to brush up on my language skills and hope to re-learn the language.

It shan't be too long though before the sneers arrive and lampoon such efforts.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think Myers interest in this could be considered mercenary at best.
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

since when has Myarse been interested in promoting Irish?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riadach View Post
    I dunno. A couple of years ago I heard him praising a CnG policy.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riadach View Post
    Well he is a journalist, and journalists need to earn a living; but it's often hard to second-guess people's motives.

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    I dunno. A couple of years ago I heard him praising a CnG policy.
    What was the policy exactly?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Claudius View Post
    since when has Myarse been interested in promoting Irish?
    Check out the site here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cashinhand View Post
    The former bantam weight world champion Bernard Dunne didn't managed to pass his academic Irish exams in school... due to being exhausted from training the nights before the early-morning classes!

His interest in the language was kindled in the USA, encountering for example a Mexican-American family proud of their Mexican-Spanish language heritage.

He has now taken to learning the language with gusto, and is improving all the time, hoping to be proficient before too long: he is in a race with his children to get "fluent" first!

Kevin Myers and Paul McGrath have endorsed his efforts to encourage people across Ireland and the world to use whatever Irish they have, and to be proud to use it... hence Bród (Pride) and the Bród Club.

I was excited to read Bernard's interview on Beo! today; there was an infectious enthusiasm about it. I think it is partly because he is coming from a "tough area" of Dublin, his personal massive achievement of becoming a world boxing champion, and his willingness to turn the page on not acquiring Irish in a formal school setting and settting out to learn the language himself.

I am sorry if this has been discussed before. The Beo! article has lots of vocabulary help if you just roll your mouse over "difficult" phrases or words, if you'd like to have a go at reading it.

Anyway, what do you make of Bernard Dunne's public efforts with one of our two official languages? Do you agree there is something fresh about it? Or is it just more of the same?
    Great to see it.

If your going to promote it, then change Myers in the thread to big Paul.

Myers ain't flavour of the month round these parts and the thread will degenerate into an anti Myers thread.
    I believe that children are the future

Unless we stop them now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by harshreality View Post
    What was the policy exactly?
    Can't quite remember. It was when DmacC was president of CnG. Education and Irish I think at Primary level.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast