Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Hypocrite Sammy Wilson slams £250 payments to low-paid education workers.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member theloner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Posts
    9,616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Hypocrite Sammy Wilson slams £250 payments to low-paid education workers.

    SF's Education Minister John O'Dowd has decided to grant an extra payment of £250 to staff earning less than £21,000 per year. But Sammy Wilson, who is a double-jobber earns a salary for being both an MLA and MP at Westminster has slammed these 'handouts' to the low paid workers.

    At the moment, Ireland is an a massive recession and we are all being hit in the wallet for everyday costs, many others struggle to make ends meet, others don't even don't make them meet. Sammy Wilson certainly doesn't grasp or experience the hardships many of us, including posters on this forum face. The recession is a non-sectarian event and the results of the recession has been devastating, ranging from marriage breakdowns to suicides.

    O'Dowd of SF announcement that payments worth £250 are to be made to low-paid education workers before the new financial year begins next month. It will lift a little of the burden for these workers who, despite their low wage, bother their arse to get out of bed in the morning and work. O'Dowd said:

    “Maybe if Sammy came down from his ivory tower once in a while he would see the devastation being caused by the recession and his inability to embrace ideas to help move the North out of recession.”

    He continued:

    'The people in receipt of these monies are grateful that they have a minister who lives off an average industrial wage and understands the plight they find themselves in as opposed to the huge sums that Sammy Wilson receives as minister, MLA and MP'.

    Wilson described the measly £250 as a mere 'handout' and a 'disgraceful populist exercise'. But for those of us who live in reality, it will come as no shock that a party who likes to model or self-style itself as a party of the people has decided to help underpaid, low-income workers. It certainly isn't a U-turn in policy by SF. Evidence of that can be found in this thread, started by myself a while back blasting SF's policy on workers' rights.

    http://www.politics.ie/forum/norther...-age-66-a.html

    At a time when unionist politicians are being charged by the unionist proletariat that they are out of touch with the working class, surely this confirms the disfranchised within the unionist community have a valid point. Incredibly it also comes at a time when Sammy and chums have called in a recent survey for a 35% pay increase across the water. Snouts in the trough, literally.

    Sammy earns £77,738 as an MP.
    Sammy earns £48,000 as an MLA.

    (Both before extensive expenses claimed).

    The MLA number is rough, he would earn more than that as junior ministers get £19,609 on top of the basic while ministers get £37,801.
    Wilson hits out at O
    MPs call for, in private at least, a 32% pay rise | Politics | The Guardian
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

  2. #2
    Castle Ray
    Guest

    Default

    Are all staff earning less than £21k getting this £250?

    Is there a link to this story about the handout?

    The only thing that I see of note is a quote by O'Dowd claiming his "industrial wage" is something low-income workers are pleased about. This is a silly argument given that the public purse from which low-paid workers are paid is still stripped of the entire amount. If Sinn Fein were serious about putting money into people's pockets and trying to take the moral high ground on this, they would only take the industrial wage from the limited public funds and not line their own party's pockets with the additional amount.

    How does this industrial wage position of Sinn Fein ministers sit with Trade Unions anyway? Surely the Trade Unions must see them doing a job that requires a lot more intelligence and hours of work than an industrial wage? I would have thought Trade Unions were in favour of paying a fair wage for a job. An average industrial wage for a ministerial position is clearly unfair unless average industrial intelligence and average industrial hours of work are being employed at Stormont by Sinn Fein. Is this the case? Quite possibly, but it still sends out a bad message one way or the other.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,709
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This Sammy?


  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member theloner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Posts
    9,616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle Ray View Post
    Is there a link to this story about the handout?
    Yeah, you'll find it in the OP funnily enough.
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member james toney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    15,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Sammy double jobbing on £135K,yet sticking two fingers up to the people he claims to represent.
    No wonder unionism is in crisis.People should look to the greed of the likes of Wilson,instead of whinging about SF wages.
    "You think thats bad,theres one lunatic that posts on there 40-50 times a day..He's alone..in bad company!

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member physicist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle Ray View Post
    Are all staff earning less than £21k getting this £250?

    Is there a link to this story about the handout?

    The only thing that I see of note is a quote by O'Dowd claiming his "industrial wage" is something low-income workers are pleased about. This is a silly argument given that the public purse from which low-paid workers are paid is still stripped of the entire amount. If Sinn Fein were serious about putting money into people's pockets and trying to take the moral high ground on this, they would only take the industrial wage from the limited public funds and not line their own party's pockets with the additional amount.

    How does this industrial wage position of Sinn Fein ministers sit with Trade Unions anyway? Surely the Trade Unions must see them doing a job that requires a lot more intelligence and hours of work than an industrial wage? I would have thought Trade Unions were in favour of paying a fair wage for a job. An average industrial wage for a ministerial position is clearly unfair unless average industrial intelligence and average industrial hours of work are being employed at Stormont by Sinn Fein. Is this the case? Quite possibly, but it still sends out a bad message one way or the other.
    Firstly, we know Sinn Féin aren't Marxist, or indeed Socalist in the puritan sence, Sinn Féin employ low earning workers on an industrial wage from the excess so their success creates jobs and esteem, this in turn is an investment in their own electoral machine which earns the party more money. It's ridiculous to think these people will bite the hand that feeds them over a few educational cuts to infrastructure that might keep low paid workers in a job being productive rather than claiming the dole, which is another investment in Sinn Féin PLC, it may be a bit populist and a bit parish pump, but what party doesn't do that?

    Secondly, I don't think any trade union is complaining about John O'Dowd being underpaid, but we do see a major Tory complaining about people being overpaid into "aspiration alienation". Oh what would Hayek, von Miles and Freidmann think?

    BBC News - Heseltine questions 'national will to improve economy'

    "There is no God-given rule saying you've got to have a well-performing economy. It could be an indifferent economy. It's a question of whether the national will is there; whether we want it. And the richer you get the less imperative there is."
    Last edited by physicist; 25th March 2013 at 03:00 PM.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member eskrimador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11,977
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Odd how right wingers constantly bang on about leaving bankers and tax dodging forms alone because, well, these people don't work for the love of it. At the same time, these loons are happy to see a massive drop in the real living standards of the truly dedicated workers in our schools and hospitals.

    £250 is buttons but it shows our appreciation for what these people do day in and day out. Anyone with a child knows that these people work beyond their pay grade, motivated by an interest in your child.
    Last edited by eskrimador; 25th March 2013 at 03:07 PM.
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member vivabrigada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    20,276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A wee bit of perspective need here!
    Laura Kuenssberg ‏@ITVLauraK 3m

    Lloyds confirms 25 staff paid over a million pounds...annual report just out

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member eskrimador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11,977
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by physicist View Post
    Firstly, we know Sinn Féin aren't Marxist, or indeed Socalist in the puritan sence, Sinn Féin employ low earning workers on an industrial wage from the excess so their success creates jobs and esteem, this in turn is an investment in their own electoral machine which earns the party more money. It's ridiculous to think these people will bite the hand that feeds them over a few educational cuts to infrastructure that might keep low paid workers in a job being productive rather than claiming the dole, which is another investment in Sinn Féin PLC, it may be a bit populist and a bit parish pump, but what party doesn't do that?

    Secondly, I don't think any trade union is complaining about John O'Dowd being underpaid, but we do see a major Tory complaining about people being overpaid into "aspiration alienation". Oh what would Hayek, von Miles and Freidmann think?

    BBC News - Heseltine questions 'national will to improve economy'
    This very morning, we have the long time tax dodging Philip Green giving off about immigrants coming and using our services. That's the same immigrants that, vastly for the most, come here and work hard, paying taxes unlike Green.
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member physicist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eskrimador View Post
    This very morning, we have the long time tax dodging Philip Green giving off about immigrants coming and using our services. That's the same immigrants that, vastly for the most, come here and work hard, paying taxes unlike Green.
    Personally, I don't think Philip Green is electable should he want to get out of the clothing business, I doubt even Tory diehards would want him to speak on behalf of the party.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •