Follow @PoliticsIE

View Poll Results: Whose government got the best deal on paper during their banking crisis?

Voters
122. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Cyprus

35 28.69%
  • Greece

35 28.69%
  • Ireland

39 31.97%
  • Latvia

13 10.66%
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Who got the better deal - Cyprus or Ireland?

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Who got the better deal - Cyprus or Ireland?

The Cypriot government put up a bit of a fight and changed the shape of the Troika's bailout proposal.

I'm just wondering do people think Cyprus got a better or worse deal than Ireland.

As a tax payer with very small "savings" as such I'd favour Cyprus deal instinctively, but can't be objective, but certainly wondering who Cypriot banks' bond holders burned whereas it appears ours couldn't be.
    The more things change....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Germany got the better deal....anyway Ireland was a 'special' case as it was been incompetently run by Fine Fail. There have been seismic changes since they left but boy, are we still special.

Dublin, but lived in Tipp, Limerick, Kildare, NI, UK & USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    The Cypriot government put up a bit of a fight and changed the shape of the Troika's bailout proposal.

I'm just wondering do people think Cyprus got a better or worse deal than Ireland.

As a tax payer with very small "savings" as such I'd favour Cyprus deal instinctively, but can't be objective, but certainly wondering who Cypriot banks' bond holders burned whereas it appears ours couldn't be.
    Seemingly very few bondholders in the banks they didn't need them. As to better deal well that won't be seen till the dust settles the cypriot business model of off shore banking is finished, so there will be alot of pain and countries like Slovenia Malta and even Luxembourg will have to assess their models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cyprus needed €17 billion to stop their banks collapsing - thats 100% of GDP. They came up with 35% of GDP as their contribution. They used a deposit tax.

Ireland needed 35% of GDP bailout from the IMF/EU. We contributed 10% of GDP by flogging our pension fund.

Who got a better deal? Ireland's better off, because we needed relatively less money.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think the Cypriots changed the deal particularly, though. The IMF wanted large haircuts on large depositors, and the breakup of Laiki. The deal agreed seems to be for large haircuts on large depositors, and the breakup of Laiki.

In one sense, I suppose that they got a better deal, in that Laiki is being broken up, which should probably have happened to Anglo - on the other hand, they don't appear at all happy about it.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As a Chinese Premier once commented...."it is too early to tell".
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Who got the better deal - Cyprus or Ireland?

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post

Merkel (to answer the original question).
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Based on what Cyprus have doen to achieve their bailout I would say it is they who have the better deal. Only those citizens with bank deposits greater that €100,000 will be affected unlike here where every citizen has been affected.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They've both been shafted. It's difficult to say which one worse, because the situations are dissimilar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone know what the Cypriot banks did with the deposits? They accepted 70 billion of peoples money - and lost it all. How? Property lending?

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast