Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: amhran na bhfiann Sweden match

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default amhran na bhfiann Sweden match

I missed the match but I heard the guy from Wicklow? singing our national anthem was not up to scratch. Apparently he left out bits and mispronounced words. I wonder is the singing of the anthem linked to out ability to play. I mean the French has a rousing war song while our rubgy team has tries to get us sing some class of diddly di.

Does the anthem matter?

Does how we treat the flag matter? I mean I remember after the last big football match seeing the tricolour in the gutter. People wear it as a skirt and drag it along the ground. People here do not seem to care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_DrQHZin0Q

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I can ever only remember the last line: "Shoving Connie around a field"

Always brings a tear to the eye.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumble View Post
    I can ever only remember the last line: "Shoving Connie around a field"

Always brings a tear to the eye.
    amusing, but in most countries things like national anthems are sacred. Its about ten lines of a foreign language that we need to learn. I am sure even the shinners here can manage it.I learnt it in primary school but it does not seem to be the case anymore. maybe it should be replaced by the fields of Athenry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Claudius View Post
    amusing, but in most countries things like national anthems are sacred. Its about ten lines of a foreign language that we need to learn. I am sure even the shinners here can manage it.I learnt it in primary school but it does not seem to be the case anymore. maybe it should be replaced by the fields of Athenry.
    Hymns are sacred and sound nice in church. That flag waving, nationalistic stuff is fine for the football field where 60,000 lazy fans watch a collection of sports people doing things that they would love to be able to do but are too lazy to even try.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greengoose2 View Post
    Hymns are sacred and sound nice in church. That flag waving, nationalistic stuff is fine for the football field where 60,000 lazy fans watch a collection of sports people doing things that they would love to be able to do but are too lazy to even try.
    nationalistic or patriotic?

There seems to be something miss with the boys in green alright. where is jackie charlton? the eyetalian does not seem to be working any magic.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happytuesdays View Post
    It is a rotten anthem though. A dirge and nonsensical lyrics.
    maybe it should be sung in its original form (English)?

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

pane et circensus.

Nothing upsets the green jersey brigade, as much, as when Irish superficiality is not up to the expectations, created by the daftest delusions.

Nothing so explicitly expresses the intellectual bankruptcy of the society, as IMF debt slave losers trying to sing a song about freedom, under the influence of booze from a UK multinational (branded as oirish), in a language which none of them understand.
    Last edited by Analyzer; 25th March 2013 at 12:10 PM.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Claudius View Post
    nationalistic or patriotic?

There seems to be something miss with the boys in green alright. where is jackie charlton? the eyetalian does not seem to be working any magic.
    If I had meant patriotic I would have used that word!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Having huge respect for flags --that is for bits of material dyed in various colours-- is for the symbol minded.

This is a group drawn from all classes and political affiliations.. one that includes, for example, Northern Unionists; scoundrels who wrap themselves up in the flag to deceive people about their patriotic "love of country" (think of Bush The Junior sending young men out to fight in the Middle East to finish what his father started); static conservatives who prize history over progress (Son.. this is the flag that our people fought under in Malaysia/Mexico/Maynooth in the xth Century); country bumpkins who want to feel like a relevant part of the bigger nation (we may live in the ar5e end of nowhere but we are part of a nation that includes Paris/London/New York too); law abiding middle class bores who see in the flag a symbol of that law and order, which they either want to be part of (as a member of the legal profession) or which they hope will protect them from poor people; those whose job it is to care about such things --brainwashed police and military people; and inner city n'er do wells who are extremely unlikely to participate in anything useful or important in their entire lives except the phantom reality of "nation."

In short, it's mostly tossers, wasters, brainwashed gimps, liars and scumbags who care about such things.. pompous ar5es who want to cover themselves in something that is generally regarded by symbol-minded folk as bigger and better than any one of us.. the State.

Besides all that flags are critically important tools for human progress and should be treated with the utmost respect...

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought as an idea it worked very well, singing the anthem without music, I'd never heard it before in that sort of setting.

What the Spanish would do I don't know.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast