Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Martina Anderson selected as MEP candidate

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    ¡No Pasarán!
    Posts
    2,662
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Martina Anderson selected as MEP candidate

    So with the Euro elections a year away it seems SF has selected sitting MEP Martina Anderson as their candidate for the North. Barbara De Brún stepped down last year so Anderson is yet to actually contest a Euro election but it should be a safe seat. No announcements were made about the seats in the south however. Theres been no offical announcement or article from SF but Martin Mc Guinness, Gerry Kelly and Martina herself all tweeted about it.

    Martina Anderson's tweet:
    https://twitter.com/MEPStandingUp4U/...61806908899328
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

  2. #2

    Default

    Great to see democracy in action. Adh mor Martina, hope your revolutionary spirit can come to the fore.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member jackryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dublin, but lived in Tipp, Limerick, Kildare, NI, UK & USA
    Posts
    3,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Seat three should be interesting here SF & DUP safe with UUP SDLP & AP fighting for seat three.

    One point of interest back at the time of the GF agreement there was a lack of elected female reps in the all the partys times have changed and there has been a big increase with no quotas!

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member neiphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    5,512
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishWelshCelt View Post
    So with the Euro elections a year away it seems SF has selected sitting MEP Martina Anderson as their candidate for the North. Barbara De Brún stepped down last year so Anderson is yet to actually contest a Euro election but it should be a safe seat. No announcements were made about the seats in the south however. Theres been no offical announcement or article from SF but Martin Mc Guinness, Gerry Kelly and Martina herself all tweeted about it.

    Martina Anderson's tweet:
    https://twitter.com/MEPStandingUp4U/...61806908899328
    Well that's great, that's out of the way,
    Is there a story here ?
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    ¡No Pasarán!
    Posts
    2,662
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackryan View Post
    Seat three should be interesting here SF & DUP safe with UUP SDLP & AP fighting for seat three.

    One point of interest back at the time of the GF agreement there was a lack of elected female reps in the all the partys times have changed and there has been a big increase with no quotas!
    Looking at last elections figures a drop is due for the UUP so it could be the SDLP's for the taking.
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    ¡No Pasarán!
    Posts
    2,662
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neiphin View Post
    Well that's great, that's out of the way,
    Is there a story here ?
    Well SF selecting a candidate is a story and since this is the SF forum I dont see the issue.
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member neiphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    5,512
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishWelshCelt View Post
    Well SF selecting a candidate is a story and since this is the SF forum I dont see the issue.
    She is the sitting mep ?
    There was a selection process ?
    She has experience in the position , I don't see a story/ conspiracy here ?
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    ¡No Pasarán!
    Posts
    2,662
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neiphin View Post
    She is the sitting mep ?
    There was a selection process ?
    She has experience in the position , I don't see a story/ conspiracy here ?
    Jesus its not the Irish times frontpage its just the SF forum!
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Tommythesash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA, via Belfast, Ireland.
    Posts
    5,213
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Being an MEP is overrated.
    I'm Ulster 'til I die.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kiwiland
    Posts
    16,993
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackryan View Post
    Seat three should be interesting here SF & DUP safe with UUP SDLP & AP fighting for seat three.
    The UUP are imploding and they've lost their moderate wing. SDLP probably the favourites, unless one of the ex-UUP moderates like Basil McCrea stands, he could hoover up transfers from all over, so if he got a good FP tally he could be in there with a (slim) shout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •