Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Big protest march in Paris against Gay Marriage

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Big protest march in Paris against Gay Marriage

Several hundred thousand people took to the streets of Paris today to protest against French Government plans for gay marriage. Report here from BBC website:

BBC News - Gay marriage opponents mass in Paris for final rally

A very interesting campaign is being waged on this issue. For more on this, read the earlier BBC report of Jan 29

BBC News - France's gay marriage fight

It seems that the conservative base is being successfully mobilised on this issue and it will be interesting to see how they react if it becomes law.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

According to the BBC article cited in the OP, 'Opinion polls suggest a majority of French people still support gay marriage but their numbers have fallen in recent weeks.

Banners unfurled along the march route included "Hands off my filiation" and "We want work, not gay marriage".'

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

French society is really conservative, but it isn't really obvious. It evolves, slowly but surely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BBC News - France's gay marriage fight

However - as a study by the liberal French think-tank the Thomas More Foundation has noted - in Spain and Portugal people who oppose gay marriage can continue to get married in church, content with the feeling that "their" marriage has nothing to do with the civil one organised by the state and now open to gay people.

But in France, there can be no such separation. The civil marriage in France is compulsory, and so if there is a change in the civil code on marriage, it affects everybody.
    I think that this is a core reason for the differences in Spain and Portugal between France. People want to be distinct and separate from different others not equal.
    Economic Left/Right: -0.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.77

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah, l'amour! Handsome French dude holding hands and kissing his boyfriend on the banks of the river Seine.

Sacre Blue, this cannot be!
    Freely I slaved away for something better and I was bought and sold
    And all I ever wanted was just to come in from the cold (Joni Mitchell).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ICDBerlin View Post
    French society is really conservative, but it isn't really obvious. It evolves, slowly but surely.
    Avert Your Gays | Broadsheet.ie
    Go and vote!