Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Income Tax and who should pay it

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Income Tax and who should pay it

I was reading an article in the Times about one of Irelands most popular artists and how he ended up on the revenue defaulters list. Apparently this is due to the artists exemption which once was unlimited (how the hell they thought that was ok) had been reduced and I can see how people can get caught out like that. I also heard a discussion on the radio which said that our tax system was based on the UK one but whilst the UK have since changed their system twice we have never changed our tax system.

However I thought it would be good to get peoples views on income tax and who should pay it. I will kick start with the view that everyone should pay income tax of some sort including people on welfare. However I am not talking about people on welfare paying a huge amount - just a nominal 1 would be sufficient. The reason I say this is because we need to instil in everyone that they have responsibilities and not just entitlements, it will also stop people having a go at people on welfare or calling them freeloaders.

So someone on welfare pays the nominal 1.
    Then we look at low earnings and have a small percentage and increase gradually.

I want to focus purely on income tax not all the other taxes - start by devising income tax and then look at the others.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A min percentage of all income should be liable for income tax. A Max limit on ....oh feckt I couldn't be ar5sed it doesn't matter what I think nothing will change, its all so feckin pointless!
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Bonox.

And the rest of the bonoxes.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lots of welfare recipients will be paying property tax and may be more than some who are not on social welfare.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Malteser.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Boggle

I thought you were going to ask whether employees should pay their own taxes or whether employers should deduct it at source.

As for your op, yeah I think even those on the smallest incomes should contribute something - even if only a token sum of a euro a week. Its purely for psychological reasons though as it may empower them to take more control of the system and expect better.
    On the other hand, it may do sod all for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
    I thought you were going to ask whether employees should pay their own taxes or whether employers should deduct it at source.

As for your op, yeah I think even those on the smallest incomes should contribute something - even if only a token sum of a euro a week. Its purely for psychological reasons though as it may empower them to take more control of the system and expect better.
    On the other hand, it may do sod all for them.

Well lets start by defining Income Tax.

For me it is all state deductions from earned income = IT + PRSI + USC + Income Levies (old health levy etc).

And I think all income should be subject to it at some level including SW.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Everyone should pay & all income should be treated the same. No exemptions for artists, sports people or welfare income. If welfare rates have to be increased to allow for the fact will have to pay tax then so be it.

I am also feed up with hearing how we have low income tax as it is completely untrue. Top rate kicks in about 35K in Ireland compared with about 180K in the UK. Similar examples can be found for Germany & other EU countries. In Ireland a bigger chunk of income at the bottom is exempt but the top rate kicks in at very modest income levels.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by partnership View Post
    Apparently this is due to the artists exemption which once was unlimited (how the hell they thought that was ok) had been reduced and I can see how people can get caught out like that.
    You are being very generous if you think it was easy to "get caught out like that". There was a plenty of coverage of the ending of the unlimited artists' exemption, there is no excuse for somehow not knowing about it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    The Bonox.

And the rest of the bonoxes.
    Not bad - only took the second reply to get in the mention of Bono. Next time you may get first.

The fact that he is resident in Ireland and pays income tax should not put you off.

The Malteser, on the other hand, is not resident here....

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast