Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: First minister calls for the people of N.I to stop reading the Irish News.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default First minister calls for the people of N.I to stop reading the Irish News.

PETER Robinson's extraordinary call for the people of Northern Ireland to "stop reading The Irish News" exposed "clear embarrassment" over coverage of the ministers' trip to the Americas.
    The DUP leader's outburst came on the day he and Martin McGuinness landed back in Belfast after a 12-day trip.
    Their press office refused - and is still refusing - to answer journalists' inquiries about the nature of their visit, their itinerary and the number in their entourage.
    Leading media commentator Steve Hewlett said that while first minister might have aimed to draw a line under the matter, his words have only added fuel to the debate.
    "He's clearly embarrassed by what happened," he said.
    Outburst 'Shows Robinson Rattled Over Coverage Of Americas Trip' | News | The Irish News

Irish News editor Noel Doran said it was "remarkable that the person who is effectively our prime minister should be urging a boycott of the best-selling Northern Ireland-based paper simply for asking legitimate questions about the spending of taxpayers' money".
    "It was particularly ironic that Mr Robinson said his intention was to attract new investment but he had no hesitation in issuing a demand which, if heeded, would lead to the closure of a very successful Northern Ireland company and the loss of 150 jobs," he said.

There is a terrific disadvantage in not having the abrasive quality of the press applied to you daily. Even though we never like it, and even though we wish they didn't write it, and even though we disapprove, there isn't any doubt that we could not do the job at all in a free society without a very, very active press.

John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) Thirty-fifth President of the USA

You would think peter would be used to dealing with media by now. Will be interesting to see what type of spin the DUP put on this.
    Search it out for yourself and then work out the reasoning petunia

Castle Ray

Robinson is an angry man and has lost the run of himself again. I imagine the Irish News is delighted with this great PR for its target readership. To anyone else it matters little.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Ray View Post
    Robinson is an angry man and has lost the run of himself again. I imagine the Irish News is delighted with this great PR for its target readership. To anyone else it matters little.
    Robinson is, usually, a canny politician and a strong leader but is prone to the odd outburst of choleric-infused rage. This, however, is lunacy. I can't imagine what was going through his head when he made such an idiotic, anti-democratic call, one that is evidently counter productive.

Castle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Glaucon View Post
    Robinson is, usually, a canny politician and a strong leader but is prone to the odd outburst of choleric-infused rage. This, however, is lunacy. I can't imagine what was going through his head when he made such an idiotic, anti-democratic call, one that is evidently counter productive.
    Is it anti democratic? Why is it counter productive?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Ray View Post
    Is it anti democratic? Why is it counter productive?
    A strong press is crucial to the proper functioning of any democracy. Singling out a territory's leading publication for boycott, which is what he called for, because it had the temerity to push him to answer questions that he did not want to runs very much counter to the principles guiding modern liberal democracies.

It is counter productive because I should imagine the Irish News will see its sales rise on the back of this, a point you yourself alluded to in saying, "I imagine the Irish News is delighted with this great PR for its target readership."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Peter seems a bit touchy,wait until he finds out the PIRA have reformed,and never decommissioned after all!
    He will lose the rag altogether,so he will
    "You think thats bad,theres one lunatic that posts on there 40-50 times a day..He's alone..in bad company!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james toney View Post
    Peter seems a bit touchy,wait until he finds out the PIRA have reformed,and never decommissioned after all!
    He will lose the rag altogether,so he will

Indeed James, there is more need now for the Provies that at any time over this past 40 plus years.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeymac View Post
    Indeed James, there is more need now for the Provies that at any time over this past 40 plus years.
    No, there is not, and such a comment is totally off-topic.
    You need to be restrained from posting in this section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeymac View Post
    Mickey,i am taking the p!ss out of another thread,you are taking the p!ss also?
    "You think thats bad,theres one lunatic that posts on there 40-50 times a day..He's alone..in bad company!

Castle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Glaucon View Post
    A strong press is crucial to the proper functioning of any democracy. Singling out a territory's leading publication for boycott, which is what he called for, because it had the temerity to push him to answer questions that he did not want to runs very much counter to the principles guiding modern liberal democracies.

It is counter productive because I should imagine the Irish News will see its sales rise on the back of this, a point you yourself alluded to in saying, "I imagine the Irish News is delighted with this great PR for its target readership."
    I take your point regarding freedom of press, but it is a stretch to say a long-running spat with one printed newspaper is anti-democratic. He didn't call for the removal of the press altogether.

Regarding being counter-productive, the sales of the Irish News may likely increase amongst nationalists. But it may likely also be seen as a hate rag for unionists. That's not counter productive to DUP or SF or any of the sectarian parties who benefit from tribal division.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast