Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It seems our fundamental right to privacy may be dissolving, right before our eyes.

Default Does anyone care that our fundamental right to privacy may be dissolving, right before our eyes?

New Data protection regulations are currently being written, which have the power to change Europe from a place where your personal life is private and belongs to you, to a place where your every recorded detail is bought and sold by multinational corporations
    And without necessarily having your knowledge or consent.

Below is a link from Avaaz.org which seems to be quite a progressive site for change. Check out this link and let me know what you think about this issue. I for one do not want my private details sold to the highest bidder!

EU Citizens: Defend Your Right to Privacy

I would love to hear what anyone thinks of this issue!
    Last edited by Lily MacDuff; 26th March 2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: refreshing text

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The first thing avaaz wants to do is get your name and e-mail. Is that not contradictory?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Underlines why we need direct democracy. In theory, the politicians are supposed to represent us. In practice the lobbyists interfere with that representativeness.
    Save the 27th

Unfortunately our fundemantal right to privacy is already long gone.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern manís existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Quote Originally Posted by shiel View Post
    The first thing avaaz wants to do is get your name and e-mail. Is that not contradictory?
    HAHA Point taken, but read their privacy policy they seem fine! Anyway no-one said it needs to be your real name

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Underlines why we need direct democracy. In theory, the politicians are supposed to represent us. In practice the lobbyists interfere with that representativeness.
    Absolutely....Perhaps if we got enough steam behind that petition they might just pay attention to our cries!! Here's hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Heneberry View Post
    Unfortunately our fundemantal right to privacy is already long gone.
    I hope your wrong Mossy!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The right to individual privacy is a compromised one in a democracy and in the free market.

When the powerful tool of the computer is used to record all actions by individuals, collate them and sell that information to private firms the right becomes a commodity.

Similarly the right to individual freedom of expression is equally compromised when a small number of powerful individuals control the means of communication.

Individuals with opinions not in accordance with the owners of the means of communication can be excluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily MacDuff View Post
    I hope your wrong Mossy!
    I wish I was but over the last few years GardaŪ have been giving powers to hack into your mobile phone, email etc.

Than we have the EU, a supra-bureaucracy that in order to justify itself needs to come up with more rules, regualtions, directives etc which usually infringe on our rights, including our right to privacy.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern manís existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Quote Originally Posted by shiel View Post
    The right to individual privacy is a compromised one in a democracy and in the free market.

When the powerful tool of the computer is used to record all actions by individuals, collate them and sell that information to private firms the right becomes a commodity.

Similarly the right to individual freedom of expression is equally compromised when a small number of powerful individuals control the means of communication.

Individuals with opinions not in accordance with the owners of the means of communication can be excluded.
    Sure! But we should never just sit back and allow our rights to ever be compromised. Something must be done! I certainly don't want my rights to be a commodity. At what point should we say enough is enough. We've let them away with too much already!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast