Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 113 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1122

Thread: Daily Mail Under Fire after Transgender Teacher Suicide

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member livingstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    22,791
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Daily Mail Under Fire after Transgender Teacher Suicide

    Daily Mail urged to fire Richard Littlejohn after death of Lucy Meadows | Media | guardian.co.uk

    Horrible story about a teacher who was the subject of a scathing opinion piece in the Daily Mail who has committed suicide. Now, of course, it's not clear that the article played a role in the suicide, but it certainly can't have helped in the case of a clearly vulverable person.

    The original article by Littlejohn was genuinely hateful, and it's very easy to see why an article singling someone out like that would have been very distressing for anyone, but for someone who might have had mental health issues anyway, easy to see how it could be devastating.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the kitchen
    Posts
    27,865
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Lucy Meadows could have taught the children more about tolerance and acceptance than any other teacher in the school.
    No a la vista, no en mente!

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Presumably the Daily Mail will be giving this as much coverage as they did the case of the nurse who committed suicide after the Australian dj prank call.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Fire him? You must be joking.


    This is a newspaper which supported Adolf Hitler. The Daily Heil is probably gloating that the size of their "liberal" enemies has been reduced by one.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cavan
    Posts
    8,710
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The teacher's change-of-sex was inevitably going to become public knowledge, with our without the Daily Mail's involvement.

    Allowing a transgendered person to be in the teaching profession serves only to confuse children, especially infants. I can imagine pupils and their parents becoming physically ill at the thought of a teacher undergoing a sex-change operation. Therefore, it is for medical and psychological reasons that the deceased should not have been in that job.

  7. #7

    Default

    He should be fired, but that would be true regardless of whether the teacher had killed herself.
    Repeal the 27th.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member ne0ica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The West
    Posts
    8,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Look I'm no fan of Littlejohn but to accuse him of causing a suicide is simply wrong. This is same nonsense as when the nurse committed suicide after a prank call. Its more likely the response of fellow staff members, students and parents to the transgender person. People who have sex change operations have higher than average suicide rates.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    The teacher's change-of-sex was inevitably going to become public knowledge, with our without the Daily Mail's involvement.
    It already was public knowledge before the Daily Mail's involvement. What would not have happened without the Daily Mail's involvement, is that this woman would not have been hounded by the national press over an intensely personal matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    Allowing a transgendered person to be in the teaching profession serves only to confuse children, especially infants. I can imagine pupils and their parents becoming physically ill at the thought of a teacher undergoing a sex-change operation. Therefore, it is for medical and psychological reasons that the deceased should not have been in that job.
    Children are not as transphobic as you apparently are. They need to be taught hatred and disgust.
    Repeal the 27th.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ne0ica View Post
    Look I'm no fan of Littlejohn but to accuse him of causing a suicide is simply wrong. This is same nonsense as when the nurse committed suicide after a prank call. Its more likely the response of fellow staff members, students and parents to the transgender person. People who have sex change operations have higher than average suicide rates.
    Littlejohn's actions likely increased the risk of something like this happening.
    Repeal the 27th.

Page 1 of 113 123451151101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •