Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Donglegate, Heroic defender of women in the tech sector or oversensitive coward (or somewhere in between?).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Donglegate, Heroic defender of women in the tech sector or oversensitive coward (or somewhere in between?).

A few days ago at a tech conference in Silicon Valley a woman working as a "developer evangelist" overheard a conversation between two other attendees in which they joked about big dongles and may or may not have joked about "forking a guys rep".
    The evangelist took these private comments to heart, proceeded to stand up smiling and turn around to take a photo of the two jokers (and several bystanders), tweet their alleged jokes to her 10,000 followers withe photos and the storm has grown ever since.
    In the aftermath, one of the jokers a working man with kids to support was fired, then Adria Richards was subjected to a stream of online abuse and herself, fired by the company that had hired her to "evangelise" their brand.

As she has been accused of massive over-reaction as she said on her tweets that she only reacted this way as she was saving the future of the sector apparently.
    "Richards did not tell the developers that she was offended, saying in the comments on her blog post, "I didn't want to be heckled or have my experience denied." She initially decided to remain silent about the jokes, she wrote, until she saw up on the main stage a photo "of a little girl who had been in the Young Coders workshop." At that moment, "I realized I had to do something or she would never have the chance to learn and love programming because the ass clowns behind me would make it impossible for her to do so," she wrote."
    How “dongle” jokes got two people fired

on her blog: "Yesterday the future of programming was on the line and I made myself heard."

Then it turns out that the woman who was offended by private overheard penis jokes actually tweeted to 1,000s a penis joke of her own a couple of days before...
    https://twitter.com/adriarichards/st...65091791847425

Adria Richards ‏@adriarichards

@skwashd you should put something in your pants next time...like a bunch of socks inside one...large...sock. TSA agent faint

Heroic defender of the future or humourless hypocrite?

https://twitter.com/adriarichards

The Female Tech Community Responds To 'Donglegate' - SFGate

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"developer evangelist" - only in the USA!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Read about it on Ars a couple of days ago and am still bemused by the lunacy behind it all.

At that moment, "I realized I had to do something or she would never have the chance to learn and love programming because the ass clowns behind me would make it impossible for her to do so," she wrote."
    The new Martin Luther King Jr.

I have a dream that one day nobody will ever have to hear another dongle joke at a Python conference.

Yup, doesn't really work.

p.s. What is an 'ass clown'?
    Flash a-ah - King of the impossible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All this kerfuffle and unemployment could have been avoided if she just turned around and told them to shush, or told the organisers of the event that they were being offensive.
    Personally I think she knows she over-reacted at some level or she would not have come up with such massively OTT justification for her actions.
    She doesn't deserve the massive flow of racist and offensive tweets and death and rape threats she has received since, however.

Her language is very odd: "have my experience denied" etc. sounds like psychologist speak.

Do people feel that dongle jokes are offensive?
    Am I missing the point because we are Irish and thus less easily offended?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a nutcase that Richards one is.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prester Jim View Post
    Her language is very odd: "have my experience denied" etc. sounds like psychologist speak.
    Just standard PC claptrap.
    At some point the gloves must come off and we face our adversaries.
    We're all Rhodesians now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Geebag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Massive overreaction on her part, she is complaining about overhearing a nerd tell another nerd a nerd joke at a nerd conference. It wasn't even directed at her, and hypocritical considering she makes crude jokes herself.

Sendgrid were totally correct to let her go. Let us ignore for a moment that her job is "Developer Evangilist" (seriously, what is that?), she has herself come out with some very interesting comments during the whole thing.

https://twitter.com/adriarichards/statuses/6039856858

Any tech company that she would deal with on behalf of sendgrid know she is a lawsuit waiting to happen, her ability to do her "job" is severely compromised.

The best hope she has now is that some white knight imbecile hires her, because honestly her actions have done more damage to women in IT than good.
    Last edited by Dan_Murphy; 23rd March 2013 at 04:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another yank screaming for attention. She's a nasty piece of work.
    IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A FIGHT, YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT SITE = P.ie - Brings out the worst in people!

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She is a total spa.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast