Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An example of Irish justice in the 1960's

Politics.ie Member louis bernard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default An example of Irish justice in the 1960's

I have just read this on RTE breaking news. Just imagine, a 9 year old boy gets sentenced to 4 years in an abusive hell hole for stealing a bike (which he returned) and is consequently abused by a member of the so called “Christian “ Brothers. And this happened in the 1960’s not the 1920’s. What a horrible country. It’s about time this heinous organisation was abolished in this country.
    Former Christian Brother found guilty of sex abuse - RTÉ News

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by louis bernard View Post
    I have just read this on RTE breaking news. Just imagine, a 9 year old boy gets sentenced to 4 years in an abusive hell hole for stealing a bike (which he returned) and is consequently abused by a member of the so called “Christian “ Brothers.
    I was about to post this, however what struck me was that the abuser entered the order when he was 15, He was from the Falls road in Belfast.

When he was 24, he was given access to Letterfrack. Entering a "vocation" at 15 is effective incarceration as well. He may well have been coerced / manipulated into it.

I am in no way justifying / lessening the abuse of the victim by the "brother", however, when we look at it now, is it any wonder it ended up the way it did.

The Abuser left in 1976. so he would have been 35. Or, in other words, the age someone should be when they CONSIDER a vocation and life of celibacy.

This is an example of how repressed the catholic church was/is. And at 72, he would be "sprightly" for a member of the curia. (I know CB's are a totally different "vocation". The oppression still stands)

In essence, the church is run by people who have never been given an opportunity to experience an entire facet of human existance, and who then claim to be able to lecture / dictate on same.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by louis bernard View Post
    I have just read this on RTE breaking news. Just imagine, a 9 year old boy gets sentenced to 4 years in an abusive hell hole for stealing a bike (which he returned) and is consequently abused by a member of the so called “Christian “ Brothers. And this happened in the 1960’s not the 1920’s. What a horrible country. It’s about time this heinous organisation was abolished in this country.
    I couldn't agree more; the full spectrum (and essentially self serving) influence of the rcc in the ROI since it's inception has resulted in a pathological dysfunction so profound the vast majority of 'citizens' who were indoctrinated are unaware of it's continued effects today. Ireland, a proverbial goldmine of unrealized and underexploited talent and potential will never actualize until this is understood. This is of course as much a reason for optimism as it is for regret; time is however moving on fast and other erstwhile 'backwards' countries and societies are discovering their own potential.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew View Post
    I was about to post this, however what struck me was that the abuser entered the order when he was 15, He was from the Falls road in Belfast.

When he was 24, he was given access to Letterfrack. Entering a "vocation" at 15 is effective incarceration as well. He may well have been coerced / manipulated into it.

I am in no way justifying / lessening the abuse of the victim by the "brother", however, when we look at it now, is it any wonder it ended up the way it did.

The Abuser left in 1976. so he would have been 35. Or, in other words, the age someone should be when they CONSIDER a vocation and life of celibacy.

This is an example of how repressed the catholic church was/is. And at 72, he would be "sprightly" for a member of the curia. (I know CB's are a totally different "vocation". The oppression still stands)

In essence, the church is run by people who have never been given an opportunity to experience an entire facet of human existance, and who then claim to be able to lecture / dictate on same.
    I think the school leaving age was 15 in NI until the 1970s - presumably something similar in the ROI?

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a classic case of a 15 year old boy marked down for clerical orders/priesthood at home. Diverted and inhibited social and psycho-sexual development firstly by the family and secondly by the philosophy of the church and its dogma and fear of women.

An unhealthy psychological cocktail which inadvertantly creates monsters out of some. Some sublimate their sexuality, some are essentially sexless, some take no notice of the celibacy and rules on adult sexual conduct and some are made into monsters for whom the gothic side of the dogma of the church lends creativity to the confusion of social power 'from god' and the power that status had back in the day.

I would be interested to hear what checks and balances exist in seminaries and orders today to weed out the potentially dangerous candidates.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Member b.a. baracus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    I think the school leaving age was 15 in NI until the 1970s - presumably something similar in the ROI?
    Far younger, if not in law then in practice. My father left school at 13 as did 4 of his brothers. This is late 50's - mid 60's time. They were certainly never hounded by any truancy officers. I believe it was ok to leave once you had completed primary education.
    I ain't gettin' on no plane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone unlucky enough like myself to attend the Christian Bros(and i use that term loosely) in the 70's and early 80's if they were lucky or smart enough to avoid the kiddy fiddlers they still more than likely would of got a good hiding every now and again for little or nothing/very minor transgressions...i was given the 'leather' for the most spurious of reasons..one was for being left handed and another when they found out i played soccer and wouldn't play hurling for the school team.......

Even some of the lay teachers were little better than superstitious peasants.......

Well said Victor
    What the imagination can't conjure, reality delivers with a shrug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by b.a. baracus View Post
    Far younger, if not in law then in practice. My father left school at 13 as did 4 of his brothers. This is late 50's - mid 60's time. They were certainly never hounded by any truancy officers. I believe it was ok to leave once you had completed primary education.
    Yep...my Dad left at 12 and went to work..........
    What the imagination can't conjure, reality delivers with a shrug

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by b.a. baracus View Post
    What I find surprising is that he was teaching if he left school that early.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    What I find surprising is that he was teaching if he left school that early.
    A lot of people joined the CB to get an education - a friend of mine was put into the CB by his mother as she could not afford to put him through secondary school - as soon as he did his leaving cert, he went to college and did engineering. A brother I had in school, left as soon as his mother died and later got married. At one time, anyone with a LC could teach in a national school and the CB had some teacher training from the time they joined.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast