Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Calls Grow For The Repatriation of Irishman

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Calls Grow For The Repatriation of Irishman

Michael Campbell appeal heard in Lithuania - Thursday, 01 March 2012 - RTÉ
    [I]An Irishman jailed for 12 years in Lithuania for plotting to smuggle arms to the Real IRA has appeared in an appeals court, seeking to prove he was set up by British intelligence.

"Michael Campbell claims that the crimes were not committed of his own free will but were provoked by agents of the United Kingdom's intelligence service," appeals judge Viktoras Kazys said as he outlined the defence arguments.

Prosecutors have also appealed the 21 October sentence which fell short of the 16-year term they had sought.
    The prison in which he's being held has been condemned as a hell hole by the European Courts of Human Rights..

Research carried out by European Committee for the Prevention of Torture (ECPT) and the European Court of Human Rights recommended Lukiskes, be shut down. Throughout it’s 107 year history the prison is infamous for torture, suicides, deaths in custody, overcrowding is prominent with sometimes more than 6 males squeezed into an average size cell. No access to regular communication, very little resources available to inmates. Michael is suffering under these conditions and has been every single day for the last 4 years.

Aine Fox

You can sign onto a recent petition set up by friends of Michael and Liam.

More importantly we can bring Michael’s case to the forefront by talking about it – questioning the reasons as to why the UK government won’t extradite Lithuanian “criminals” back to their homeland, yet it is permitted for Michael to remain there indefinitely? We need to Demand his repatriation to his home country.

People can support his repatriation by signing the petition organized by his family or by writing to your local TD, MEP or MP if abroad to highlight the mans case..
    Last edited by Sync; 22nd March 2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Edited for copyright.

Dylan2010

"Michael Campbell claims that the crimes were not committed of his own free will but were provoked by agents of the United Kingdom's intelligence service," appeals judge Viktoras Kazys said as he outlined the defence arguments.
    that happens to me all the time , any more "facts" to garner some sympathy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why should anyone sign a petition for this reptile. Had the arms landed innocent people might have died. Also I find it hard to imagine how one can be set up by anyone to smuggle weapons. My attitude is tough luck.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Why should anyone sign a petition for this reptile. Had the arms landed innocent people might have died. Also I find it hard to imagine how one can be set up by anyone to smuggle weapons. My attitude is tough luck.
    My understanding is that he's claiming he was stitched up. I can't see how he'll get a fair trial where he his, that's why I support the repatriation..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cathalbrugha View Post
    My understanding is that he's claiming he was stitched up. I can't see how he'll get a fair trial where he his, that's why I support the repatriation..
    He can claim all he likes. The idea that one is "stitched up" when found guilty of weapons trading is laughable. Normal people don't just bump into security agents and go along with a plot to sell arms to dissident provos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wasn't he actually caught buying guns? This sounds like the "voices made me do it" defence.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Feck him, let him rot, if he had succeeded, the stuff he was buying would have left a lot of families in a whole load of pain, and a lot of dead Irish men and women no doubt.
    Somebody made me do it?? Get outta that with yer hairy paw!!

Politics.ie Member NewGoldDream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If convicted of a crime in a country, you just kinda takes your chances. If I get caught with heroin in Thailand, before they dump me in some hellhole for life with daily beatings they won't ask if I'd really rather serve it in Ireland. There can be arrangements made, but they are not the norm.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So he wanted to kill fellow Irish people and we're supposed to have sympathy for him??!

If I have the time today, I'll set up a counter-petition asking public representatives to ignore calls for his repatriation.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    Wasn't he actually caught buying guns? This sounds like the "voices made me do it" defence.
    No, I don't think he was actually caught with guns.. I think the evidence was built around him being photographed standing beside an agent who had a gun.. The prosecution iinm are now arguing for a 16 year sentence, and imo that is extreme for possession of one gun, a gun which iinm, he hadn't even got in his hands.. The sentence was OTT in the first place.. I think he's now claiming entrapment, which I think is one reason that the prosecution are trying to ratchet up the sentence.. The organization to which he is allegedlly linked has ceased to exist a couple of years ago.. It doesn't add up..

Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast