Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilmore snubs Savannah St Patrick’s Day celebrations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gilmore snubs Savannah St Patrick’s Day celebrations

Yet more nonsense from the Labour leader. Here he publicly snubbed the anniversary dinner of the Hibernian Society in Savannah, Georgia. Georgia is the most Irish state south of the mason dixon line. The society was founded 200 years ago by Irish Protestants to help newly arrived Irish immigrants both Catholic and Protestant. The 'segregation' bit was a bit much. I thought Gilmore was supposed to be building relations as foreign minister not snubbing people.

'He said: “Count me out - I’m not doing it. I don’t believe in segregation either on a gender basis or on any other basis.”

Savannah has one of the biggest Irish populations in the American southeast and holds the second largest St Patrick’s Day parade in the US with over 500,000 people attending the event every year.

Gilmore added: “It is not a case of me not wanting to go to Savannah but there is no point in bringing me to Savannah if one of the major parts of the programme is going to be a men-only event.”

Read more: Irish deputy leader snubs Savannah St Patrick
    Follow us: @IrishCentral on Twitter | IrishCentral on Facebook

Irish deputy leader snubs Savannah St Patrick

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have you been abroad/on the tear for the last few days ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fantastic. This nonsense where the Irish abroad think they have the right to behave in whatever misogynistic or homophobic way they wish and get recognised by representatives of the Irish state.

This is no different to the NY parade excluding gay groups.

If you want to paint yourself green and be a bigot, that's fine. But don't expect the Irish Government to recognise you as anything more than moronic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just a desperate stunt to keep the feminist wing of his party, happy. Even though most ordinary people have more pressing matters, that they would like the govt to address.

Eamon Gilmore, a hypocrite?

PQ: Human Rights Issues

Deputy Eamon Gilmore: In our relations with any country, be it Saudi Arabia or elsewhere, we look at the totality of the relationship; it is never based on one issue. Our relationship with Saudi Arabia encompasses a range of issues including both trade promotion and human rights.

Deputy Seán Crowe: Are any Irish women on the council? How does it operate when there are restrictions in Saudi Arabia surrounding women’s involvement? The Tánaiste says these are two chambers of commerce coming together so I presume Irish women are involved. Are they full members when they travel as part of any delegation?

Deputy Eamon Gilmore: Our trade with Saudi Arabia is important. It is worth €900 million at a time when we have a huge number of people out of work in this country. We have suffered an economic difficulty and must trade our way out of that. That means we must export and this is an important export market. It is overwhelmingly in our favour, running at €850 million in exports and €50 million in imports. Our commitment to human rights and the rights of women is among the best in the world and we do not equivocate on that or compromise on it. Those rights are universal and it is our view that expanding our trade relationship provides us with an opportunity to engage with countries on human rights issues.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If they heard of his line "It is Labour's way or Frankfurt's way"

I am sure that they would quickly realise that a PR stunt statement from Gimmemore does not provide any reason to be getting annoyed.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
    Fantastic. This nonsense where the Irish abroad think they have the right to behave in whatever misogynistic or homophobic way they wish and get recognised by representatives of the Irish state.

This is no different to the NY parade excluding gay groups.

If you want to paint yourself green and be a bigot, that's fine. But don't expect the Irish Government to recognise you as anything more than moronic.
    Are they "Irish"?

But "Irish America" needs to drag itself into the 20th century, let alone the 21st.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Surprised by some of the replies. This is a fraternal organisation were talking about here not government organisation or ngo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin M View Post
    Just a desperate stunt to keep the feminist wing of his party, happy. Even though most ordinary people have more pressing matters, that they would like the govt to address.
    Agree, he should have said he was unavailable rather than make a song or dance about it. Its really none of his business what members any society decides to have as members. Of course Gilmore never considered the fact that in Savanah is was founded as a non sectarian organisation.

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast