Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 172

Thread: health minisister promoting pubs

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default health minisister promoting pubs

    Did anyone else heard our health minister(who does not look very healthy himself) on the radio yesterday. He wants to jack up the price of booze in the off licences and bring it down in the pubs to bring more business to the latter? It seems the publicans are still a powerful lobby.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Burnout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    I'm just a stone's throw from nowhere.
    Posts
    7,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Is he trying to buy a round (vote)?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Claudius View Post
    Did anyone else heard our health minister(who does not look very healthy himself) on the radio yesterday. He wants to jack up the price of booze in the off licences and bring it down in the pubs to bring more business to the latter? It seems the publicans are still a powerful lobby.
    It seems like a sensible idea. The pub is a moderated social enviornment, the new pattern of drinking that involves sinking a couple of bottles of wine each at home because you don't have far to fall from the sofa is a far more dangerous patten of drinking, as is the trend towards drinking half a bottle of vodka before heading out.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    It seems like a sensible idea. The pub is a moderated social enviornment, the new pattern of drinking that involves sinking a couple of bottles of wine each at home because you don't have far to fall from the sofa is a far more dangerous patten of drinking, as is the trend towards drinking half a bottle of vodka before heading out.
    the onus is on the individual, not the government to control drinking. enough of the nanny state!
    Publicans are peeved cos they want to rip off customers and people are opting to drink at home instead. I have four cans from the offi for the price of a pint.

    I can smoke at home, invite in who I want, choose my own music, sit on chair that do not look at if they have been taken from the skip and go to jax that is not a disgusting mess.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member cillian32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I support him 100% on this.....The pub trade is in need of a boost and can create thosands of jobs that are badly needed.Good move FG.......AT LAST!
    IRELAND FIRST

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
    Is he trying to buy a round (vote)?
    who are the politicians with pubs? healy Rae has at least two.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Crazy horse 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tallaght
    Posts
    13,501
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Our minister for health could do with one or two less drinks himself. I'm no health expert but he's prime material for a heart attack with that belly and big red face.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cillian32 View Post
    I support him 100% on this.....The pub trade is in need of a boost and can create thosands of jobs that are badly needed.Good move FG.......AT LAST!
    if they want the custom they should stop screwing the customers. What do they offer? You pay more than five euro a beer in Dublin. you can have just as much craic at home. Leave the pubs to the tourists.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member tigerben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Midleton
    Posts
    4,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    How many politicans or their families are publicans? As for a tax on drink to be "ring fenced " we already pay the a major amount of tax on acohol. The amount of alcohol being drank has fallen in the last couple of years, but like the Electrity, health insurance , gas and petrol because we're cutting down we must pay more to keep thoses in the industry with the same amount of profits.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy horse 6 View Post
    Our minister for health could do with one or two less drinks himself. I'm no health expert but he's prime material for a heart attack with that belly and big red face.
    what says Doctor Eva?

    his statement yesterday sounded like someone who has plenty of cash and is completely out of touch. a lot of people are unemployed and cannot fork out to go to a pub. drinking at home with friends is the cheaper option.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •