Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 68

Thread: Group Punishment vs Individual Punishment

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    10,462
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Group Punishment vs Individual Punishment

    So I'm here with my son who is doing his French homework.

    Apparently last Thursday the class was given homework; today only half the class had done it.

    As punishment the entire class has to do the homework 3 times.

    Teacher says the half that didn't do it 'owe an apology' to the other half for landing them with triple homework.

    I presume the idea is that the good boys are supposed to beat the crap out of the bold boys after school? Saves the teacher having to deal with the problem I suppose

    Now, let's talk about bullying, shall we? petunia

    Is this the 'new' thing, is group punishment back in favour over individual punishment?

  2. #2

    Default

    My kid came home last year with a similar story and I forbid her to do the punishment exercise. I told her that collective punishment was a violation of the Geneva Convention and other international laws and that small injustices lead to bigger injustices.

    The teacher backed down. hee hee. I won... ne ne neneneh !

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Well group punishment, seems to be the order of the day. The Goverment is punishing all us plebs for the sins of a few....

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member commonman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    There was a program on espn last night about coaches in schools in the USA the like i have never seen before the abuse the give them young people.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Big Brother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    On screens everywhere you look
    Posts
    2,726
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by General Mayhem View Post
    So I'm here with my son who is doing his French homework.

    Apparently last Thursday the class was given homework; today only half the class had done it.

    As punishment the entire class has to do the homework 3 times.

    Teacher says the half that didn't do it 'owe an apology' to the other half for landing them with triple homework.

    I presume the idea is that the good boys are supposed to beat the crap out of the bold boys after school? Saves the teacher having to deal with the problem I suppose

    Now, let's talk about bullying, shall we? petunia

    Is this the 'new' thing, is group punishment back in favour over individual punishment?


    Welcome to the cult of society, group think and collective punishment as pushed by the left who dominate our thinking now.

    Taking individual responsibility is out. Society is always at fault and we are all guilty. Likewise society is always to benefit for the hard work of a segment of society.

    So we no longer have a disincentive to act badly (no one will punish us individualy) or to do well (we get no individual reward).

    Some people didn't do their homework? ...

    .....We are "ALL" guilty

    Some people abuse alcohol?.....

    ..... We are "ALL" guilty and must pay higher alcohol prices


    A small number of clergy abused children?.....

    .....They/we are "ALL" guilty and we must abandon catholicism en masse


    A small number of us bust a gut to create jobs/exports/prosperity?....

    .....We "ALL" - even those who spend all day vegged out on the sofa - are responsible and should share equally in the reward

    This BS idiocy has been brought to us by listening to too many left wing sociologists / academics and commentators.

    It's time to consign it to the toilet.

    And flush hard.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member RobertW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    20,477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I've never heard of that form of punishment used by any teacher.

    If anything it acts as an incentive for those who did their homework to not do so in the future.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Brother View Post
    Welcome to the cult of society, group think and collective punishment as pushed by the left who dominate our thinking now.
    Oh its the "left" again is it?

    Perhaps "the left" only dominates your thinking.

  8. #8
    Dylan2010
    Guest

    Default

    what was that scene from Full Metal Jacket "its just a dream Fat boy!" . Stand up for your son, the teacher is being an idiot, your son didnt join the army or some makey uppy boot camp.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    55,716
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    I've never heard of that form of punishment used by any teacher.

    If anything it acts as an incentive for those who did their homework to not do so in the future.
    Teacher sounds like an aspiring management consultant who's big into team building!

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Debater
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Here there and everywhere.
    Posts
    40,585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    I've never heard of that form of punishment used by any teacher.

    If anything it acts as an incentive for those who did their homework to not do so in the future.
    Absolutely normal in my time in a CBS - including corporal punishment for the entire class. Bastards.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •