Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Group Punishment vs Individual Punishment

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Group Punishment vs Individual Punishment

So I'm here with my son who is doing his French homework.

Apparently last Thursday the class was given homework; today only half the class had done it.

As punishment the entire class has to do the homework 3 times.

Teacher says the half that didn't do it 'owe an apology' to the other half for landing them with triple homework.

I presume the idea is that the good boys are supposed to beat the crap out of the bold boys after school? Saves the teacher having to deal with the problem I suppose

Now, let's talk about bullying, shall we? petunia

Is this the 'new' thing, is group punishment back in favour over individual punishment?

My kid came home last year with a similar story and I forbid her to do the punishment exercise. I told her that collective punishment was a violation of the Geneva Convention and other international laws and that small injustices lead to bigger injustices.

The teacher backed down. hee hee. I won... ne ne neneneh !

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well group punishment, seems to be the order of the day. The Goverment is punishing all us plebs for the sins of a few....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was a program on espn last night about coaches in schools in the USA the like i have never seen before the abuse the give them young people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Mayhem View Post
    So I'm here with my son who is doing his French homework.

Apparently last Thursday the class was given homework; today only half the class had done it.

As punishment the entire class has to do the homework 3 times.

Teacher says the half that didn't do it 'owe an apology' to the other half for landing them with triple homework.

I presume the idea is that the good boys are supposed to beat the crap out of the bold boys after school? Saves the teacher having to deal with the problem I suppose

Now, let's talk about bullying, shall we? petunia

Is this the 'new' thing, is group punishment back in favour over individual punishment?

Welcome to the cult of society, group think and collective punishment as pushed by the left who dominate our thinking now.

Taking individual responsibility is out. Society is always at fault and we are all guilty. Likewise society is always to benefit for the hard work of a segment of society.

So we no longer have a disincentive to act badly (no one will punish us individualy) or to do well (we get no individual reward).

Some people didn't do their homework? ...

.....We are "ALL" guilty

Some people abuse alcohol?.....

..... We are "ALL" guilty and must pay higher alcohol prices

A small number of clergy abused children?.....

.....They/we are "ALL" guilty and we must abandon catholicism en masse

A small number of us bust a gut to create jobs/exports/prosperity?....

.....We "ALL" - even those who spend all day vegged out on the sofa - are responsible and should share equally in the reward

This BS idiocy has been brought to us by listening to too many left wing sociologists / academics and commentators.

It's time to consign it to the toilet.

And flush hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've never heard of that form of punishment used by any teacher.

If anything it acts as an incentive for those who did their homework to not do so in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Brother View Post
    Welcome to the cult of society, group think and collective punishment as pushed by the left who dominate our thinking now.
    Oh its the "left" again is it?

Perhaps "the left" only dominates your thinking.

Dylan2010

what was that scene from Full Metal Jacket "its just a dream Fat boy!" . Stand up for your son, the teacher is being an idiot, your son didnt join the army or some makey uppy boot camp.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post

If anything it acts as an incentive for those who did their homework to not do so in the future.
    Teacher sounds like an aspiring management consultant who's big into team building!

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post

Absolutely normal in my time in a CBS - including corporal punishment for the entire class. Bastards.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast