Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Shatter does it again. More trouble "at mill".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Shatter does it again. More trouble "at mill".

shatter-snubs-top-judge-for-position-at-eu-court-29104247

The above indo article refers.

The background is as follows, for those unfamiliar.

When filling a job as Judge of the European Court of Justice, it is normal, and required, for the person appointed by Government to retire from their Irish judicial job, if not appointed directly from the Bar, in order that the European authorities are satisfied that the person so appointed is not acting solely in their own narrow national interest. It's all a bit daft given one presumes when serving in their national position they do so impartially. Howandever, that is the case.

Mr. Justice O'Higgins is of the blueshirt O'Higgins, "Kevin O'Higgins", nephew I think, in fact, and brother to Tom O'Higgins, who, in a rare show of conscience, resigned from his audit position of the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission over the O'Donaghue expenses scandal, and other issues, several years ago. O'Higgins was appointed by a FF Government, to be clear.

O'Higgins was, to anyone with the slightest interest, a "straight bat", very good and very hard working. Did a lot of "crime" on the bench and was a member of the Criminal Law Codification Advisory Committee, amongst other things.

He was appointed by the last Government to the ECJ and has, according to all sources, aquitted himself very well. His term is due to expire later this year and, as is normal, if they so wish, has expressed an interest in doing a second, and final, term.

Now, barring some exceptional event, this would be granted, as of course. O'Higgins has four years to manditory retirement and this would take him to that.

However, Shatter, in what only can be called another example of his lack of any tact whatsoever, had one of his officials tell O'Higgins that he was not being reappointed with absolutely no reason given.

What is more, and this is the very strange thing, Shatter has further said that he will not be reappointed to the bench either.

That is MOST strange.

The convention has always been that a returning judge would be reappointed to his previous position, or if he was at the bar before appointment, that he would, providing he proved himself in Europe, be appointed to the bench.

The rational was simple. It was and is, that if you have to give up a lucrative practice or your judicial career to take up a European appointment, you would hope that you would have a modicum of security on your return. This ensured that applicants for the positions were of a good standard, ie had a good practice or were already at least a High Court Judge. You really dont want to be sending some piss pot barrister out to Europe to make us look like plonkers.

However, Shatter has now unilaterally upturned this and told O'Higgins, who would have four years left to serve in normal circumstances, to take his hook and sling it.

I am not going to suggest reasons why Shatter would do this. He is, I suspect, just being Shatter.

There is, however, a lot of ill feeling about it in the Bar and on the Bench. Perhaps, therefore, Shatter was sucessful.

EDIT: Can't seem to embed the Indo article. You can google it.
    Last edited by corelli; 20th March 2013 at 05:50 PM.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's not exactly a 'people' person, Shatter, is he?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm struggling to see why this is important.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    He's not exactly a 'people' person, Shatter, is he?
    Its actually quite entertaining.

I'd day his bedside manner would be awesome.
    Or his Valentines day card.

Roses are red,
    Violets are blue
    You are morally obliged to have sex with me due to the marriage transaction we entered into.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    Shatter is a complete control freak, beginning and end!!
    Disclosures Tribunal - #OnlyForTheTape...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would you give up a good career, judicial or otherwise, to go off to Europe for four years, with absolutely no security on your return? Remembering that Judges who leave cannot practice again before the courts, save in a court above on which they served. In O'Higgins case, if he was to return to the bar, his only practice would be before the Supreme Court. In other words, no practice at all.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Its convention and only that from what I read of your OP. But I suspect there is a huige amount behind this and most likely nothing to do with the judges ability or suitability for the job he once filled. The implications though may be huge for future European jobs and perhaps some rules may be changed as a result as good people most likely wont want to talke such positions without cast iron promises (legally binding).

Poor mister Shatter. He certainly seems to have big feet.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Under the rules of the Bar, this would effectively end the man's career as he would be unable to be an advocate before the High Court.

Extremely strange. I'm presuming it's a petty personal gripe that Shatter has against this man, which is usually the root cause of any Alan Shatter controversy.

Did something similar not happen a couple of years back to someone out in Europe? Doing his job grand, popular over there, and then just dropped. Eoin something?
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does he sit at the other end of the FG tent to Shatter?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast