Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: John Delaney, his salary, and the media's role in reporting 'facts'

Default John Delaney, his salary, and the media's role in reporting 'facts'

First of all, this is not in the sports forum, as it is just as much about reporting standards in the media in general, as it is about the FAI.

A headline on today's RTE website says:

FAI Chief Executive John Delaney admits to turning down a job three times his current salary

When one reads the story, is says (my bold)

FAI chief executive John Delaney has defended his current salary, while also stating he turned down a job that would have tripled what he now earns.

Delaney, who has presided over stringent cutbacks which have affected even Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni and his coaching staff, reportedly earns around €340,000 a year.

However, he has revealed he could have left for a better-paid post and believes his wage is commensurate with the FAI's income, with the country still in the grip of a difficult economic situation.

Delaney told Sky Sports News: "I was offered a job three times the salary that I'm currently on, and that's a fact.

"I didn't take the job, I didn't want the job. I'm very happy in this job.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2013...ive-job-offer/

So, far from Delaney admitting anything about being offered a new job, all he has done is CLAIM he got offered a different job.

At no point has the report pointed this out, yet the message from RTE is loud and clear, whether intended or not: 'John Delaney is worth it'.

Why has nobody asked him for proof of these claims, and if they are not forthcoming, why not run the story as 'John Delaney claims he was offered job with a salary three times greater than his current salary, but failed to provide proof of such claims, when asked to do so'?

This isn't solely about RTE. The Irish Independent, while not using the word 'admit', says that Delaney 'revealed he could have left'.

John Delaney: I was offered a job on three times current salary - Independent.ie

I'm sure there will be other examples in the media. The word 'admit' is regularly used in radio bulletins about all sorts of stories, with the Newstalk sports department being particular offenders.

If the media can't even challenge the head of a sports organisation which has clearly made a total mess of its finances over the years, then what hope have we that they will ask the right questions of our politicians?

EDIT: The above RTE link no longer works, yet the story, with an amended headline is on the site. That headline now says 'FAI chief executive John Delaney says he turned down a job which paid three times his current salary' It seems very unusual to change the url, rather than just update the current url...perhaps they've been reading P.ie

New link: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/inter...ive-job-offer/
    Last edited by ShoutingIsLeadership; 20th March 2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: updated to include link
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Delaney is a running joke. His salary would be justified if the Irish team had a great record of success on the pitch and soccer was our national sport. As it is we do just about okay in the qualification stakes and then fizzle out with the other also-rans.

Like a lot of people in similar positions in Ireland, Delaney thinks he's worth more than he actually is. 200k would be overly generous for his post.

His mentality is endemic in this country, bankers being the most obvious example.

As for his claim of turning down three times his salary in another post, that's just plain laughable. Let's hear names and times, otherwise stop taking the mick.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe Alex Ferguson is hiding something.

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who offered Delaney a million a year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is why we are a first world soccer power !

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It galls me to be quoting the Sunday Independent, but Declan Lynch had an excellent piece a couple of months ago on the sheer incompetence that pervades the RTÉ Sport's section. His contention was the RTE should worry gravely about its inability to get the little things right, before devoting time worrying about bigger disasters such as the Fr. Reynolds fiasco.

Declan Lynch: The little mistakes are no small matter - Independent.ie

So it does matter a great deal when we hear a result on RTE radio or television, and instinctively we feel the need to visit the BBC website just to check it out, just to be sure -- personally, the defining moment was when the RTE TV lunchtime news told us that the new world snooker champion John Higgins is the son of Alex "Hurricane" Higgins.
    There are countless little examples of this on RTE sport on a relatively regular basis. They routinely make errors which would cause part-time sports hacks for local newspapers to die of shame. Sports journos are, by their nature, obsessive and encyclopedic. Not in RTE it would seem.

Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    What? and no one advertised the position of the tooth fairy????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    Denis O'Brien? Just for Delaney to keep his gob shut!
    "You think thats bad,theres one lunatic that posts on there 40-50 times a day..He's alone..in bad company!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Delaney is one of our betters in Ireland, and that group of people, do not tell lies, therefore they should not be questioned. This is the view of RTE.

Delaney should not be payed anymore than the highest paid footballer in the League of Ireland.
    “The French Revolution was nothing but a precursor of another revolution, one that will be bigger, more solemn, and which will be the last.” Babeuf

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Delaney is a right Pinocchio.

I for one do not believe a word out of his mouth.
    Last edited by Levellers; 20th March 2013 at 02:31 PM.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast