Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Medeical Council wants language test for doctors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Medeical Council wants language test for doctors

Medical group wants EU-trained doctors to take English test - Independent.ie

Can't see a thread on this and I am surprised there isn't. Thanks to an insane piece of legislation EU trained doctors may not be tested for their level of English. As the piece above shows this can be fatal. It ias frankly unbelievable that this is not the case.

However I am told non_EU doctors are tested yet the testing must be pretty shabby if my family's experience is anything to go by. I have been dealt with in the last 12 months by doctors and nurses from India who had real difficulty speaking English. I had to work hard to understand them. My case was minor but my cousin's (a professional sportsman) was worse. He entered the Cork Regional with a stomach complaint and after testing all the female Indian doctor could say was "go home now all ok". She could not explain the problem to him. A day later he was in A & E with food poisoning thanks to a sharp eyed local GP. Above all jobs shouldn't medical practitioners be forced to have a good standard of English?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Medical group wants EU-trained doctors to take English test - Independent.ie

Can't see a thread on this and I am surprised there isn't. Thanks to an insane piece of legislation EU trained doctors may not be tested for their level of English. As the piece above shows this can be fatal. It ias frankly unbelievable that this is not the case.

However I am told non_EU doctors are tested yet the testing must be pretty shabby if my family's experience is anything to go by. I have been dealt with in the last 12 months by doctors and nurses from India who had real difficulty speaking English. I had to work hard to understand them. My case was minor but my cousin's (a professional sportsman) was worse. He entered the Cork Regional with a stomach complaint and after testing all the female Indian doctor could say was "go home now all ok". She could not explain the problem to him. A day later he was in A & E with food poisoning thanks to a sharp eyed local GP. Above all jobs shouldn't medical practitioners be forced to have a good standard of English?
    If Gardai and School Teachers need Irish competency why not doctors?

Why can I not do business with my doctor in Irish?

longshortgrass

Quote Originally Posted by IbrahaimMohamad View Post
    If Gardai and School Teachers need Irish competency why not doctors?

Why can I not do business with my doctor in Irish?
    It's difficult enough at times to understand what doctors are saying, without getting it in a language that few of us understand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The main difficulty I hear of is written, as opposed to spoken English. Even those who have a perfectly good level of conversational English, can fall down when it comes to writing. This is a problem when other people are relying on accurate notes on patients.

Politics.ie Member Picasso Republic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Last year my father "had to be informed" that he had a few weeks to live (brain tumour), unfortunately this news was broken to him in a 10 minute wholly business like manner by an African Consultant whom it was necessary to ask on many occassions to repeat himself, often still being none the wiser sue to his accent and expressions.

Its really not on.

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will there be spelling tests for "Medeical" personnel also?
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a horrible nasty wacist demand completely contrary to everything our political, mass migration lobbyists and chattering classes endlessly whine on about.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pat View Post
    It's a horrible nasty wacist demand completely contrary to everything our political, mass migration lobbyists and chattering classes endlessly whine on about.
    If Irish is our first language is it asking too much to ask State paid Doctors to speak it or understand it?

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pat View Post
    No, it's a perfectly sensible and legitimate requirement.

Stop with the trolling, okay.
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Peaks View Post
    No, it's a perfectly sensible and legitimate requirement.

Stop with the trolling, okay.
    You recognise spelling but not rhetoric?
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast