Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 20th anniversary of Warrington bombing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 20th anniversary of Warrington bombing

One of the most sickening atrocities of the Troubles happened twenty years ago today, on the 20th March 1993, in Warrington, England. After an inadequate warning, two bombs planted by the Provisional IRA exploded on Bridge St on a busy Saturday morning. Two young children were killed; three year old Johnathan Bell died instantly, and twelve year old Tim Parry died some days later in hospital.

Sickenly, yet typically, the IRA blamed the British authorities for their deaths:

Responsibility for the tragic and deeply regrettable death and injuries caused in Warrington yesterday lies squarely at the door of those in the British authorities who deliberately failed to act on precise and adequate warnings
    Whilst the bombing will always stand as a testimony to Provo savagery, at least some good did come from the horror. The people of Ireland made their voices crystal clear in the "Peace 93" rallies, and Colin Parry, the father of Tim, set up the Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for Peace, to promote peace and understanding between the UK and Ireland.

Foundation for Peace

Hopefully these islands will never witness such horror again.

SeamusNapoleon

Default Who remembers Damien Walsh?

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    at least some good did come from the horror. The people of Ireland made their voices crystal clear in the "Peace 93" rallies
    Irish Times, 3 April 1993

Sir, - When the phone rang just after midnight in my Rotterdam apartment on Thursday night I ignored hoping it was a wrong number. I also ignored the second call. However, on hearing the third I knew that bad news was on the way. The phone call was the one that every person in Northern Ireland over the last 20 years has dreaded receiving, the news that a close member of the family has been killed in the troubles. In this case, it was my nephew Damien Walsh, the seventeen-year old son of my sister Marian, assassinated by the UDA as he worked as a trainee coalman in Twinbrook.

The brutal sectarian murder of a young man on the threshold of life is a shocking injustice, taking away from him the most elementary right of all: the right to life. However, this primary injustice was soon to be compounded by an accumulation of other injustices mostly affecting his parents and family. First, there was the treatment my sister received at the City Hospital where, just after Damien died, she was coldly informed that “well, he didn’t make it” by a member of the medical staff. The incident as much as any other kept swirling through my sister’s consciousness in the nightmarish days that followed.

The second injustice followed the finding of a quantity of fertiliser near the scene of the murder (a large shopping complex). Although the RUC made clear that this was pure coincidence, some sections of the media, including the Irish Times and the Belfast Telegraph, did not hesitate to link the two incidents, giving what seemed to be a spurious justification to the murder

The final element of hurt and pain was the reaction, or rather the non-reaction, of the burgeoning peace movement in the Republic of Ireland. Most people in Northern Ireland, including Damien’s family, were profoundly shocked by the Warrington atrocity and the death of the two children. Indeed, at Damien’s funeral mass prayers were said for the parents and families of the Warrington children. What the family could not understand was why this wave of emotion could not be extended to Damien, who was still only a boy. Damien’s family received no plane load of flowers from the Republic nor from England. The only cards from the South were from relatives and one Trinity student from Derry.

The purpose of this letter is not to score points, but to make a point: every singly human life is unique and precious. There must be no discrimination in our reaction to murder which is always the supreme evil. In their understandable reaction to Warrington, people in the South of Ireland should be careful to remember those other dozens of children and young people murdered in the North of Ireland. They should remember that reactions such as occurred after Enniskillen and Warrington, while they bring comfort to some sections of the community, are deeply offensive to others if they do not take their suffering account. If this happens, then the “peace” movement will in fact bring about the very opposite of what it is seeking to achieve. It will further embitter the Catholic working-class people of the North who have suffered so much in these troubles and drive some of them into the hands of the IRA.

– Yours, etc.,

[name in original],
    Associate Professor in Public Administration,
    Erasmus University,
    Rotterdam.

+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One of the most sickening atrocities of the Troubles happened twenty years ago today, on the 20th March 1993, in Warrington, England. After an inadequate warning, two bombs planted by the Provisional IRA exploded on Bridge St on a busy Saturday morning. Two young children were killed; three year old Johnathan Bell died instantly, and twelve year old Tim Parry died some days later in hospital.

Sickenly, yet typically, the IRA blamed the British authorities for their deaths:
    Two precise warnings had been given in adequate time, one to the Samaritans and one to Merseyside Police. As the IRA said "You don't provide warnings if it is your intention to kill". The Brit police couldn't even deny it, the fact that they failed to act on adequate warnings leaves the blame on the Brit police. It wouldn't be the first or last time the British authorities put civilians in the line of fire whether it be Bloody Sunday or Dublin/Monaghan and countless others atrocites as the OP knows well but will deny regardless.

Whilst the bombing will always stand as a testimony to Provo savagery, at least some good did come from the horror. The people of Ireland made their voices crystal clear in the "Peace 93" rallies, and Colin Parry, the father of Tim, set up the Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for Peace, to promote peace and understanding between the UK and Ireland.

Foundation for Peace

Hypocrisy '93 would have been a better title. Of course the Gombeen state went into overdrive and made a ' peace superstar ' out of housewife Susan McHugh as some sort of Mother Theresa for peace. You couldn't make it up. I was at the GPO at the so called ' Peace ' rally, when the parents of children murdered by the Brit army in the north came down to illustrate that it wasn't just the IRA or UVF for that matter who had carried out their share of killing. Of course with the Gombeen media circus and political movemnets, these people were branded ' subversives ' and physically jossled and had pictures of thier loved ones torn up by the west Brit element in the crowd and of course our old friends the Stickies (Workers Party). All in full sight of the coppers and most importantly that lovely peace lover Susan McHugh who claims she never seen it from standing on a platform a few yards away.
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Foundation for Peace

Terrible act by the Provos, but what really galls me is that attacks by the British armed forces that resulted in children being killed, never got the same sort of publicity.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PO'Neill View Post
    Two precise warnings had been given in adequate time, one to the Samaritans and one to Merseyside Police. As the IRA said "You don't provide warnings if it is your intention to kill". The Brit police couldn't even deny it, the fact that they failed to act on adequate warnings leaves the blame on the Brit police.
    Strange argument.

A bit like saying if I decide to go out and shoot some random stranger dead in the the street, it's the governments fault for not issuing every citizen with a bullet-proof vest.

I don't get it.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManInTheArena View Post
    Strange argument.

A bit like saying if I decide to go out and shoot some random stranger dead in the the street, it's the governments fault for not issuing every citizen with a bullet-proof vest.

I don't get it.
    It's standard IRA apologia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManInTheArena View Post
    Strange argument.

I don't get it.
    Stupid argument. If I send two warnings that I'm going to go down to McDonalds on Grafton Street stand at the entrance at 12.30 pm and shoot someone and the cops ignore both warnings even though they are an agreed warning code*, it's not the coppers fault for ignoring it and deliberately putting people in the firing line ??

( i.e. the IRA used to use " Double X " as their name in warnings)
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Two precise warnings had been given in adequate time, one to the Samaritans and one to Merseyside Police. As the IRA said "You don't provide warnings if it is your intention to kill". The Brit police couldn't even deny it, the fact that they failed to act on adequate warnings leaves the blame on the Brit police. It wouldn't be the first or last time the British authorities put civilians in the line of fire whether it be Bloody Sunday or Dublin/Monaghan and countless others atrocites as the OP knows well but will deny regardless.

Hypocrisy '93 would have been a better title. Of course the Gombeen state went into overdrive and made a ' peace superstar ' out of housewife Susan McHugh as some sort of Mother Theresa for peace. You couldn't make it up. I was at the GPO at the so called ' Peace ' rally, when the parents of children murdered by the Brit army in the north came down to illustrate that it wasn't just the IRA or UVF for that matter who had carried out their share of killing. Of course with the Gombeen media circus and political movemnets, these people were branded ' subversives ' and physically jossled and had pictures of thier loved ones torn up by the west Brit element in the crowd and of course our old friends the Stickies (Workers Party). All in full sight of the coppers and most importantly that lovely peace lover Susan McHugh who claims she never seen it from standing on a platform a few yards away.
    Repugnant post!

So planting bombs in busy shopping streets is perfectly okay as long as a warning is given.

The warning absolves the bomber of all blame or fault?

Bullcr@p, pure and simple.

The sooner this island is rid of that attitude, no matter it's source, the better for us all.
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Stupid argument. If I send two warnings that I'm going to go down to McDonalds on Grafton Street stand at the entrance at 12.30 pm and shoot someone and the cops ignore both warnings even though they are an agreed warning code*, it's not the coppers fault for ignoring it and deliberately putting people in the firing line ??

Christ. You're veritably brainless.
    Flash a-ah - King of the impossible

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, it's your fault for killing someone.

The utter lack of any awareness of this basic simple truth is frankly astonishing.

But this refusal to acknowledge the consequences of their actions was typical of the IRA, as was their cowardice as shown by what they did to Patsy Gillespie.

Getting innocent men to die for Ireland because they were too cowardly to do it themselves.
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast