Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Unionist Councillors Boycott 'insensitive St Patrick's Day Sunday parade'

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Unionist Councillors Boycott 'insensitive St Patrick's Day Sunday parade'

Unionists councillors stayed away from Northern Ireland’s biggest cross-community St Patrick’s Day parade in Downpatrick yesterday for the first time.

DUP and Ulster Unionist councillors were boycotting the parade because was being held on a Sunday for the first time.

DUP councillor William Dick said it was “insensitive” to hold the parade on a Sunday. He said many Protestants would not be taking part or attending because it is being held on the Sabbath.

“This is a carnival parade and it is not appropriate to hold it on a Sunday,” said Mr Dick.

“I believe it was wrong of the SDLP and Sinn Fein to to go head with this on a Sunday against the stated wishes of the two main church leaders in the town from the Catholic Church and Church of Ireland.”

But Sinn Fein’s Eamonn Mac Con Midhe pointed out that the vast majority of local people favour the St Patrick’s Day parade taking place yesterday.

“Traders were consulted and they favour this date,” said Mr Mac Con Midhe.
    Seems a tad childish to me I mean I could see their complaints if it was moved to a sunday in a case where the 17th didnt fall on one but this is over the top imo. What is the craic with protestantism and sundays? I seem to remember while watching a documentary about Long Kesh that Sunday was the only day they loyalists wouldn't do a full days workout routine. Also I may be getting this wrong but aren't Orange Order parades held on sundays?
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's truly embarrassing, and these are the two main unionist parties spouting this nonsense.
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IrishWelshCelt View Post
    Seems a tad childish to me I mean I could see their complaints if it was moved to a sunday in a case where the 17th didnt fall on one but this is over the top imo. What is the craic with protestantism and sundays? I seem to remember while watching a documentary about Long Kesh that Sunday was the only day they loyalists wouldn't do a full days workout routine. Also I may be getting this wrong but aren't Orange Order parades held on sundays?

OO parades are not held on Sundays, if the Twelfth falls on a Sunday.
    satisfied with frugal comfort

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    OO parades are not held on Sundays, if the Twelfth falls on a Sunday.
    Yes but arent other OO parades held on sundays? Such as those in Drumcree the sunday before the 12th?
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes but arent other OO parades held on sundays? Such as those in Drumcree the sunday before the 12th?
    I'm no expert but I believe that the only orange parades on sundays are church parades where they gather up and parade to a church for a service.
    There is still a proportion of the protestant population which won't do too much on a sunday but putting it in context I'm sure it's a relatively small proportion of those who actually go to church and therefore a very small proportion of the total unionist / protestant population. The DUP just got their knickers in a twist and the UUP followed like lapdogs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're allowed to riot and cause a disturbance but you're not allowed to enjoy yourself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Meanwhile in Omagh Councillors after moving the Parade to Monday reroute the parade because there are Union Flags in a Unionist area .....

BBC News - St Patrick's Day parade re-routed over union flag row in Omagh

You couldn't make this up......

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Meanwhile in Omagh Councillors after moving the Parade to Monday reroute the parade because there are Union Flags in a Unionist area .....

BBC News - St Patrick's Day parade re-routed over union flag row in Omagh

You couldn't make this up......
    We hear regularly from Unionist politicians that the presence of Tricolours leaves them "intimidated", "discriminated against", "feeling cold", etc., why would it be any different for Nationalists in the presence of the British flag?

Surely Unionists, who complained about the very same thing not so long ago in the run up to the 12th, should be more than understanding of Nationalist concerns:

Deputy Ulster Unionist leader Danny Kennedy appealed for calm in the run-up to the Twelfth.

But he said he was “very concerned” at the large number of Irish tricolours on Friary Road in Armagh – the main arterial route for Orangemen and their supporters to make their way to the field in Killylea today.

Mr Kennedy accused republicans of “deliberately attempting to raise the temperature” in advance of the Co Armagh Twelfth demonstration and urged Orangemen to ignore the provocation.

He said tricolours fly permanently along the ring road and outwards along the main arterial route towards Omagh and the west.
    Unionists challenge police over tricolours - Headlines - Belfast Newsletter

What's good for the goose.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So basically a group that never hold non-church parades/marches on a Sunday continued to not hold a non-church parade/march on a sunday. Yeah they sound like jerks all right.

The communication lines on this would be interesting. It's something that should have been factored into the decision to move it to Sunday. If it was held on Sat/Mons in the past for the sake of inclusiveness then you'd have to wonder why it was moved this year.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glaucon View Post
    We hear regularly from Unionist politicians that the presence of Tricolours leaves them "intimidated", "discriminated against", "feeling cold", etc., why would it be any different for Nationalists in the presence of the British flag?

Surely Unionists, who complained about the very same thing not so long ago in the run up to the 12th, should be more than understanding of Nationalist concerns:

Unionists challenge police over tricolours - Headlines - Belfast Newsletter

What's good for the goose.....
    Interesting that you read my post that way .......

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast