Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Papal Nuncio to Ireland correct about silenced priests here ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is the Papal Nuncio to Ireland correct about silenced priests here ?

http://www.associationofcatholicprie...-on-drivetime/

On Drivetime on Friday evening last the Papal Nuncio Archbishop Charles John Brown when asked about silenced priests here like Tony Flannery, Brian Darcy, Fr. Maloney, Sean Fagan and others replied that as they were still speaking out , they were not silenced! In any man's language silenced means being deprived of performing as a priest in the ministry . Tony Flannery and Brendan Hoban, two founder members of the Association of Catholic Priests were quick to take him up on that. he also said in his interview with Mary Wilson that the priests problems were matters between themselves and their Bishop, or in case of an Order Priest ,with the head of their congregations. That is patently wrong,as in Tony Flannery's case, the CDF took an active part in Tony's plight.

Now Nuncio Brown at one stage actually worked in the CDF (formerly the Inquisition) and knows how things operate there. His interview with RTE was extraordinary and is not the full story. One wonders why he came out as he did, and does the election of a new Pope change matters ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Test of the new Pope will be to put manners on CDF and restore good priests. Vatican was not so quick to move on child abuser priests.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin Coir View Post
    Tony Flannery disputes Nuncio’s version of events. Association of Catholic Priests

On Drivetime on Friday evening last the Papal Nuncio Archbishop Charles John Brown when asked about silenced priests here like Tony Flannery, Brian Darcy, Fr. Maloney, Sean Fagan and others replied that as they were still speaking out , they were not silenced! In any man's language silenced means being deprived of performing as a priest in the ministry . Tony Flannery and Brendan Hoban, two founder members of the Association of Catholic Priests were quick to take him up on that. he also said in his interview with Mary Wilson that the priests problems were matters between themselves and their Bishop, or in case of an Order Priest ,with the head of their congregations. That is patently wrong,as in Tony Flannery's case, the CDF took an active part in Tony's plight.

Now Nuncio Brown at one stage actually worked in the CDF (formerly the Inquisition) and knows how things operate there. His interview with RTE was extraordinary and is not the full story. One wonders why he came out as he did, and does the election of a new Pope change matters ?
    About two yeas ago I had a very long and detailed conversation about clerical sexual abuse with the then Nuncio to Ireland.

The conversation was unfailingly polite, but to me was ultimately as useful an exercise as trying to nail a jellyfish to the ceiling.

These guys are experts in evasion and - in effect - in lying.

It was impossible to avoid drawing he conclusion that I was in the presence of a master in the art of obfuscation, subtle denial and of avoiding the question.

The odd thing was that he seemed to be taking quite a bit of enjoyment from the challenge and almost revelled in it.

The big topic was whether Secular Law held precedence over Canon Law in the minds of priests. He never once answered that question in ninety minutes of being pressed on the issue.

What he didn't seem to realise was the metadata he was providing me.

You can have all the prepared answers ad glib dismissals you want, but when the news story becomes the fact of these dismissals, then you are getting the message over incorrectly and are misjudging the issue.

The absence of substance in the responses frames what is in effect a full response.

I would never place any trust in th word of a senior church figure; they're answering by rote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We will know more about what direction the new pope will take us in the next few months, i think this man will hit the ground running and do good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    About two yeas ago I had a very long and detailed conversation about clerical sexual abuse with the then Nuncio to Ireland.

The conversation was unfailingly polite, but to me was ultimately as useful an exercise as trying to nail a jellyfish to the ceiling.

These guys are experts in evasion and - in effect - in lying.

It was impossible to avoid drawing he conclusion that I was in the presence of a master in the art of obfuscation, subtle denial and of avoiding the question.

The odd thing was that he seemed to be taking quite a bit of enjoyment from the challenge and almost revelled in it.

The big topic was whether Secular Law held precedence over Canon Law in the minds of priests. He never once answered that question in ninety minutes of being pressed on the issue.

What he didn't seem to realise was the metadata he was providing me.

You can have all the prepared answers ad glib dismissals you want, but when the news story becomes the fact of these dismissals, then you are getting the message over incorrectly and are misjudging the issue.

The absence of substance in the responses frames what is in effect a full response.

I would never place any trust in th word of a senior church figure; they're answering by rote.
    DO you think they new pope will make any difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I heard the diplomat's interview with Mary Wilson,and frankly I was shocked by it. Tony Flannery refutes his claims totally. Brown seemed to absolve the CDF's role in the matter, which is patently not correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by commonman View Post
    We will know more about what direction the new pope will take us in the next few months, i think this man will hit the ground running and do good.
    lets hope he does, I would give him about 3 months to get moving.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by commonman View Post
    DO you think they new pope will make any difference.
    As an atheist I'd hope so.

The problem seems to me that the RCC as a strictly hierarchical organisation demands total obedience up the chain. At the Papal level this also seems to extend to obedience to the dictats handed down by predecessors.

This Pope is in the unusual position of having the previous one alive. Then again, Benedict spoke of "filth" in the Church, so maybe that's a green light for reform.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh no... another anti catholic thread. Do you guys ever give up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by captainwillard View Post
    Oh no... another anti catholic thread. Do you guys ever give up?
    whats anti catholic about expecting the Papal Nuncio to be straight ?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast