Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irish not allowed to own hounds?

Default Irish not allowed to own hounds?

If you watch the video below at it says at 00:40 that Irish people were prevented from owning hounds, so we turned to breeding terriers instead.

I've never heard of this law before and doing some research via google has turned up nothing.

Does anyone know anything about this law and why it was brought in in the first place?

Dogs 101 Soft coated wheaten terrier - YouTube
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Heneberry View Post
    If you watch the video below at it says at 00:40 that Irish people were prevented from owning hounds, so we turned to breeding terriers instead.

I've never heard of this law before and doing some research via google has turned up nothing.

Does anyone know anything about this law and why it was brought in in the first place?

Dogs 101 Soft coated wheaten terrier - YouTube
    judging by the amount of dog sh*t, on the pavements around here,
    me thinks that too many Irish people are allowed to own hounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We have hounds in Government Mossy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Makes sense, don't allow them to own hunting dogs but allow them to own ratting dogs, as befits ones station....
    “atheism is a belief system in the same way that not playing football is a sport.”

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would love to have a pair of Irish wolfhounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Under Penal Law a Catholic man couldn't own an animal worth over £5, and if an Anglican offered to pay £5 they had to sell it.

In 1704 the British enacted a Penal Code on the Irish which lasted for more than a century. It was done in an attempt to crush the Irish Catholic population. It is important to the development of the Irish Wheaten Terrier because the Catholics were not allowed to own an animal valued at more than £5. They needed a dog that would not draw the attention of the English, who would have been permitted to make payment of £5 to confiscate the animal for themselves. Spectacular looking dogs, like the Irish Wolfdog, could be “bought” for £5 and kept by the English or sent as gifts to other countries. The moderate local terrier rarely got a second look. Wheatens had to perform the function of any dog and appear to be of very little value. Of course the value to the farmer was considerable! This may have been the reason why it is stressed to this day that the Irish Wheaten Terrier be a moderate dog with no exaggerated points. Moderation is part of the tradition that kept the wheaten terrier a beloved companion to the Irish people.

I've known some men to marry them.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It might be reference to something like King Canute's Forest Law from 1014, where only the nobility were allowed to own sighthounds (that would be greyhounds, wolfhounds, deerhounds and similar dogs). It could be something similar was attempted here, similar to the Statues of Kilkenny or within the Penal Laws. I know within the Penal Laws an Irish person was not allowed to own a horse worth more than £5, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by EoinMag View Post
    Makes sense, don't allow them to own hunting dogs but allow them to own ratting dogs, as befits ones station....
    Terriers make excellent hunting dogs.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know Irish Wolfhounds were too closely associated with the Ascendancy and landlord class, and the Kerry Blue was promoted as the proper republican dog of choice.
    "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast