Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Was Tom Clarke of the 1916 Rising an anti Black Racist?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Was Tom Clarke of the 1916 Rising an anti Black Racist?

Seems one of the iconic figures of the 1916 Rising was a bit of a 'wacist' himself?

At least according the the Irish Times Weekend supplement 16 March 2013

Diarmaid Feriter reviews Life, Liberty, Revolution by Gerard MacAtasney

He quotes from the book the following lines from a letter Clarke wrote when he lived in New York in 1900 and was thinking of moving to a different neighbourhood because:

'THERE ARE ANY AMOUNT OF N.IGGERS LIVING HEREABOUTS AND WE IRISH AS A RULE DON'T CARE FOR COMING TOO MUCH INTO CONTACT WITH THOSE ABSURD FOLKS'

I wonder what he would make of Parnell St today?

But I would be interested to hear what other Posters think of this revelation considering his place as a Republican icon admired both at home and abroad against the Occupation of our Country and the British Plantations here

Thomas James "Tom" Clarke (Irish: Tomás Séamus Ó Cléirigh; 11 March 1857 – 3 May 1916)[1] was an Irish revolutionary leader and arguably the person most responsible for the 1916 Easter Rising. A proponent of armed revolution for most of his life, he spent 15 years in prison. Following his release he organised the Easter Rising, and was executed after it was quashed.

Tom Clarke (Irish republican) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the record I don't think he was a Racist
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What exactly would make a racist, in your opinion, seeing as hating people on the basis of their race seems to be out?
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sign of the times.

I wouldn't expect any public figure to utter those words these days - except Enda Kenny and Mammy O'Rourke.
    Last edited by Levellers; 18th March 2013 at 04:11 PM.

Temporary Ban
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    Seems one of the iconic figures of the 1916 Rising was a bit of a 'wacist' himself?
    Is wacism the new racism? Saying it with a lisp (typing it with a lisp) doesn't make it any less so.

Looks like he was.

Politics.ie Member louis bernard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What’s the big deal here? 100 years ago the majority of Europeans and people of European decent would have regarded Blacks as totally inferior to them. Sign of the times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Another attempt to place contemporary social norms on figures from history?
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the lads from easter 1916 saw the hack of some of Dublins more enriched areas they would have stayed in bed on that faithful Monday morn.

Politics.ie Member Happytolearn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't imagine he was too enamoured by gays neither
    I'm a better man now than I was that day

Temporary Ban
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Another attempt to place contemporary social norms on figures from history?
    Meh. If every bad thing was a contemporary social norm, nothing would ever have changed. There were always people who could see right from wrong. In the case of Clarke, he was a republican. Did these things never cross his mind? It's not like racism was a secret then, something that wasn't recognised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirTallaghtban View Post
    If the lads from easter 1916 saw the hack of some of Dublins more enriched areas they would have stayed in bed on that faithful Monday morn.
    Are you referring to the spivs and cute hoors who took over the body politic and many of the leafy suburbs? And those who colluded with corruption in church and commerce to destroy the lives of children and the reputation of the State?
    Then I agree they should of turned over and waited for the foggy dew to clear.

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast