Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Catholic Cardinal says raping children not a crime.

Default Catholic Cardinal says raping children not a crime.

BBC News - 'Paedophilia not criminal condition' says Durban cardinal
    The BBC are reporting a catholic cardinal commentry on child abuse saying in some cicumstances is an illness not a crime. The Nolan radio show in Britain, had Cardinal Napier of Durban, and was drawn inti a conversation on child abuse.
    Was Nolan that much cleverer than the Archbishop, or was it a case of the mask slipping and we see the real attitude of the catholic church to raping children.

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bye bye mubarak View Post
    BBC News - 'Paedophilia not criminal condition' says Durban cardinal
    The BBC are reporting a catholic cardinal commentry on child abuse saying in some cicumstances is an illness not a crime. The Nolan radio show in Britain, had Cardinal Napier of Durban, and was drawn inti a conversation on child abuse.
    Was Nolan that much cleverer than the Archbishop, or was it a case of the mask slipping and we see the real attitude of the catholic church to raping children.
    Definitely a case of the mask slipping and showing what they really think about children.

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think he did say that in fairness. I recall reading the reports on this yesterday and I suspect he was angling for a different take- that paedophile clerics should be regarded as 'ill' rather than criminal.

It is still an attempt to evade the law by use of philosophy by that cardinal but I honestly don't think he said 'raping children is not a crime'.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post
    I don't think he did say that in fairness. I recall reading the reports on this yesterday and I suspect he was angling for a different take- that paedophile clerics should be regarded as 'ill' rather than criminal.

It is still an attempt to evade the law by use of philosophy by that cardinal but I honestly don't think he said 'raping children is not a crime'.
    @BBCNolan: Nolan interview has caused controversy in the Catholic Church after a Cardinal told me he does not believe Paedophilia is always a crime
    #3amigos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is a classic attempt by this senior cleric to have the debate recast to 'the poor priest who can't help raping children- sure the poor man is unwell'.

Still doesn't explain why the church didn't report the crimes. Or announce that they seemed to have an inordinate number of 'unwell' priests in ordination.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northtipp View Post
    @BBCNolan: Nolan interview has caused controversy in the Catholic Church after a Cardinal told me he does not believe Paedophilia is always a crime
    Yes... he's going for the 'good Garda family' defence well known in Ireland when some little scrote gets caught in illegality and ends up with doctor's notes saying he is 'misunderstood' or some other cheesy nonsense associated with middle class attempts to evade the consequences of one's actions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is all part of the smokescreen. The shrinks promoting the word ebophilia (spelling probably wrong), are also giving excuses to priests and all appear to have a very cosy relationship to the church.

Why this has been tolerated in our society, is beyond my comprehension.

The whole thing is a perverted house of cards and should be dismantled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes... he's going for the 'good Garda family' defence well known in Ireland when some little scrote gets caught in illegality and ends up with doctor's notes saying he is 'misunderstood' or some other cheesy nonsense associated with middle class attempts to evade the consequences of one's actions.
    Now you are getting it.

I would drop the middle class bit though, although the point is well made. It pervades every strata of society.

Dylan2010

Its a bit like saying a serial killer is "ill" , i'm sure he is but still needs to be put out of circulation, any behaviour that would keep such an individual in circulation would also be criminal. Our cardinal friend is "confused"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

True. A rabid dog is 'ill' too but thats still not a valid defence in letting it run around near playgrounds. This cardinal may regret going down the road of opening a discussion on the psychology of clerical paedophiles.

In fact the US Conference of Bishops is doing its best to keep the psychological profiles they have on their lot quiet- and of course the German church which announced a year or two back they were opening their files up to the German Institute of Psychology performed a sudden u-turn a couple of months back and said they weren't going to co-operate any more.

I have a fair idea why as well. Senior churchmen don't like what they are seeing in the psychological profiles and the implication that seminary for certain personality types already damaged by the frantic catholic family 'keeping junior for god' is the a conveyor belt for diverted psycho-sexualities.

The one thing the church won't do is encourage any description of the effect dogma has on a 'prepared' and diverted adolescent or young man/woman. It is somewhere they can't afford to go.
    Last edited by LamportsEdge; 18th March 2013 at 12:06 PM.

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast