Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Nixon's treason in 1968 prevented peace with Vietnam

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Nixon's treason in 1968 prevented peace with Vietnam

    A very interesting story on the BBC which is based on newly declassified white house recordings from 1968. It seems that the framework for a peace deal in Vietnam was lined up before the 1968 election. On the day it was to be announced, South Vietnam pulled out, extending the war for another 5 years.

    It turns out that Nixon, fearing a pre-election peace would sink his chance to be president, secretly and illegally contacted the South Vietnamese and told them to withdraw, promising them a better deal if he was elected.

    LBJ knew because the FBI had bugged Nixon, but believing they would win the election anyway, said nothing publically. Nixon won by 1%.

    BBC News - The Lyndon Johnson tapes: Richard Nixon's 'treason'

    How history could have been different...

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Eoin Coir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    16,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This has been known for some time. Much the same happened here in 1997, when FF conspired with IRA not to restore the ceasefire until after the June election. It was restored in July despite nothing changing, apart from election of FF !

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eoin Coir View Post
    This has been known for some time. Much the same happened here in 1997, when FF conspired with IRA not to restore the ceasefire until after the June election. It was restored in July despite nothing changing, apart from election of FF !
    You clearly win top prize for most idiotic post of the month. Your two brain cells must be lonely.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member dresden8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    14,656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Meh. Iranian hostage crisis ensures Reagan's election. Hostages are subsequently released.

    Reagan sells weapons to Iran.

    Nothing to see here.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Eoin Coir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    16,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    a deal was within grasp in 1968, scuttled by Nixon who settled for much the same years later, but after 22, 000 US soldiers were killed, along with thousands of civilians.

    Shades of Sunningdale , slow learners etc.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Mitsui2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Between Time and Timbuktu
    Posts
    33,209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eoin Coir View Post
    a deal was within grasp in 1968, scuttled by Nixon who settled for much the same years later, but after 22, 000 US soldiers were killed, along with thousands of civilians.
    Indeed. "Nothing to see" would not be a view shared by those tens of thousands of US families - though the Vietnamese would hardly be dismayed at one more American lie.

    Still, old news, old wounds, those who'd be angriest mainly dead, &c &c &c.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    County Londonderry
    Posts
    35,432
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    A very interesting story on the BBC which is based on newly declassified white house recordings from 1968. It seems that the framework for a peace deal in Vietnam was lined up before the 1968 election. On the day it was to be announced, South Vietnam pulled out, extending the war for another 5 years.

    It turns out that Nixon, fearing a pre-election peace would sink his chance to be president, secretly and illegally contacted the South Vietnamese and told them to withdraw, promising them a better deal if he was elected.

    LBJ knew because the FBI had bugged Nixon, but believing they would win the election anyway, said nothing publically. Nixon won by 1%.

    BBC News - The Lyndon Johnson tapes: Richard Nixon's 'treason'

    How history could have been different...
    When Quakers go wrong .......

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dresden8 View Post
    Meh. Iranian hostage crisis ensures Reagan's election. Hostages are subsequently released.

    Reagan sells weapons to Iran.

    Nothing to see here.
    Interesting parallel, isnt it.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Hewson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the horizon
    Posts
    8,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Remember when they were arguing over the shape of the table at the peace talks in Paris?
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Catalpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Planet Blanchardstown
    Posts
    25,406
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    A very interesting story on the BBC which is based on newly declassified white house recordings from 1968. It seems that the framework for a peace deal in Vietnam was lined up before the 1968 election. On the day it was to be announced, South Vietnam pulled out, extending the war for another 5 years.

    It turns out that Nixon, fearing a pre-election peace would sink his chance to be president, secretly and illegally contacted the South Vietnamese and told them to withdraw, promising them a better deal if he was elected.

    LBJ knew because the FBI had bugged Nixon, but believing they would win the election anyway, said nothing publically. Nixon won by 1%.

    BBC News - The Lyndon Johnson tapes: Richard Nixon's 'treason'

    How history could have been different...
    Once in office he escalated the war into Laos and Cambodia, with the loss of an additional 22,000 American lives, before finally settling for a peace agreement in 1973 that was within grasp in 1968.

    Once in office he escalated the war into Laos and Cambodia, with the loss of an additional 22,000 American lives, before finally settling for a peace agreement in 1973 that was within grasp in 1968.

    Well that's not true anyway - the US did not lose another 22,000 KIA after Nixon took over - circa 15,000 more like

    Anyway surely the South Vietnamese would have realised that there was no point signing a deal until after the new POTUS was elected?

    This line of argument also presumes that Hanoi was ready to sign a deal in '68

    - that was to America's advantage
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •