Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unionist fall out over DUP's U-turn in policy regards Long Kesh

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Unionist fall out over DUP's U-turn in policy regards Long Kesh

All is not well for unionist unity. After unionist unity candidate, Mr Lutton's failure to get elected in Mid-Ulster last week, the TUV and UUP have ganged up on anti-GFA unionists in the DUP. Mid-Ulster was a safe seat for unionism, with SF only making gains there in 1997, now a unified unionist can't seem to make inroads in the constituency.

The latest unrest within unionist unity is over the plans to redevelop the site of Long Kesh. TUV leader Jim Allister and former UUP chief Tom Elliott have accused the DUP of “hypocrisy and rolling over yet again to republican demands” after the DUP's Edwin Poots confirmed his party was backing the peace and reconciliation centre at the former prison site.

The new centre will sit alongside a preserved H block and other buildings, including the chapel and the hospital where ten Irish republican hunger strikers died. Ironically this is what Nigel Dodds said of the plans to preserve the hospital and chapel before his party's U-turn:

“However it is dressed up, whatever spin is deployed, the preservation of a section of the H-blocks – including the hospital wing – would become a shrine to the terrorists who committed suicide in the Maze in the 1980s. That would be obnoxious to the vast majority of people and is something unionist people cannot accept”.

Dodds seemed to be in direct contradiction with his colleague Jeffrey Donaldson who claimed:

I know a lot of Protestants who would support this on the basis of what has been agreed. It is about promoting dialogue and it is a way forward," But the TUV's Jim Allister claims, 
“Now the DUP are engaged in the very spin which their own deputy leader warned about.”

Former IRA prisoner Seanna Walsh, who read the IRA statement calling an end to its war, said that the centre would reflect the stories of all sides involved in Long Kesh – republicans, loyalists, the police, the Army and prison officers. It seems the DUP have been hanging out with SF too much at Stormont as it has learned how to talk out of its arse and mouth at the same time.

Leading unionists split over plans at Maze site - Headlines - Belfast Newsletter
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I said this in the other thread about the Unionist forum.

When multiple political parties come together to 'unite' there will always be major fallouts due to differing opinions. Does not matter if its Northern Ireland and Nationalist or Unionist parties or like the Lib Dem/Tory government over on the UK Mainland.

Always going to be huge disagreements and fallout's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by belfast1981 View Post
    I said this in the other thread about the Unionist forum.

When multiple political parties come together to 'unite' there will always be major fallouts due to differing opinions. Does not matter if its Northern Ireland and Nationalist or Unionist parties or like the Lib Dem/Tory government over on the UK Mainland.

Always going to be huge disagreements and fallout's.

Thank goodness sir.........that's democracy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, Mickey. As much as I disagree with you on a lot of things. What would the world be if every party was united and had the exact same agendas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, Mickey. As much as I disagree with you on a lot of things. What would the world be if every party was united and had the exact same agendas?

Surprised at you asking me such a silly question, are you sober?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

not really, no. I am enjoying St Patricks day with a bottle of Captain Morgan's and watching the NASCAR.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Boundary changes made Mid Ulster an unwinnable Unionist seat or at least exacerbated the issue .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

not really, no. I am enjoying St Patricks day with a bottle of Captain Morgan's and watching the NASCAR.

Enjoy sir, wish I could buy you one, have a good Paddy's day as everyone else seems to be doing here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vinoboy View Post
    Boundary changes made Mid Ulster an unwinnable Unionist seat or at least exacerbated the issue .

You people can giggle, juggle, twist and cheat........but.........in the long run........demographics will bite you in the ass. YEEHAW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeymac View Post
    Enjoy sir, wish I could buy you one, have a good Paddy's day as everyone else seems to be doing here.......in Lenadoon
    Even with the usual caveats attached to opinion polls, a 65% to 17% majority for Northern Ireland remaining in the UK suggests little room for doubt.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast